1748225 Members
4620 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

SMH Service stuck in "starting"

John_Curtiss
Occasional Advisor

SMH Service stuck in "starting"

does the system management homepage service restart itself twice a day? i'm seeing SCOM alerts consistently on several servers between noon and 12.30 and midnight and 12.30. this is not a huge issue; the real issue is that sometimes the service gets stuck in a 'starting' state. so now i can't start the service, i can't stop the service, and the SMH isn't up. only a server reboot cures it, and these are production servers i can only reboot during one monthly scheduled maintenance window. currently i have three DL380G3s with support pack 8.60 (although this has been an issue through many support packs and on multiple models and Generations) with the SMH service "starting," and all three of the services stopped last night, 12.14am, 12.30am, 12.31am.

the "recovery" tab on the windows service is set to "take no action" in all cases, so it's not windows trying to restart the service after it stops, which tells me something else is stopping it. i also don't even see any events in the windows application or system event logs around this time regarding a service stopping or starting.