ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753534 Members
5695 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

SMH is reporting Management Processor None; iLO reports "host is unnamed" for server name

SOLVED
Go to solution
desertdog
Frequent Visitor

SMH is reporting Management Processor None; iLO reports "host is unnamed" for server name

I have installed SuSE 11 kernel release 2.6.32.36-0.5-default on a DL380 G4 with iLO firmware version 1.94.  PSP 8.7 has been installed on the server too.   The server is in what is call the build stage.  In other words it resides in a temporary location until it will be deployed.  I have a single network connection to access the server for build purposes.  To access the iLO a cross over cable is connecting the iLO NIC to a second NIC on the DL380 G4.

I can access the iLO using firefox on the server and similarly I can also access the System Management Homepage.

I reset the iLO to the factory defaults initially.

1.  The System Management Homepage is reporting Management Processor: None.  I am expecting it to indicate the iLO.

2.  The iLO, under Summary Status, reports the server name as "host is unnamed".  I understand the HP Management Agents should update this.  I believe everything is installed.  lsmod shows the driver hpilo is loaded .   hp-health and hp-snmp-agents are both installed and running along with hpsmhd, hpvca, and hp-asrd (I have to manually start hp-asrd after booting).  I am expecting the actual server name.  The iLO name does reflect the name used in configuration/setup.

3.  If I try to change the iLO server name using hponcfg and the XML script Set_Server_Name.xml from the tar file linux-LOsamplescripts3.10.0.tgz I receive the error.

# hponcfg -f Get_Server_Name.xml
Firmware Revision = 1.94 Device type = iLO Driver name = hpilo
</-- ERROR :      STATUS= 0x0001     MESSAGE= Syntax error: Line #32: syntax error near "" in the line: "GET_SERVER_NAME/>" -->
Script failed

The XML script follows.  I am using the same LOGIN and Password used to signon to the iLO (not shown here)

<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">
   <LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password">
      <SERVER_INFO MODE="read">
         <GET_SERVER_NAME/>
      </SERVER_INFO>
   </LOGIN>
</RIBCL>

If I run hponcfg -w logfile it dumps the xml configuration but I do not see a section for SERVER_INFO.  The command "hponcfg -f Get_Host_Power.xml" executes successfully.

hponcfg -f Get_Host_Power.xml
Firmware Revision = 1.94 Device type = iLO Driver name = hpilo
<GET_HOST_POWER
    HOST_POWER="ON"
    />
Script succeeded

I confirmed the last firmware version released for the DL380 was 1.94.  However to drill down to it I had to select SuSE 10 x86_64 because at that time SuSE 11 x86_64 was not available.  I'm thinking the problems I am encountering might be the result of using older hardware and iLO firmware with the latest sofware releases.

Any assistance in helping me resolve these issues is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
desertdog
Frequent Visitor

Re: SMH is reporting Management Processor None; iLO reports "host is unnamed" for server n

I was successful in connecting to hpilo via ssh. Does anyone know where the server name is kept in the directory structure? I looked in /system and /map and do not see anything appropriate. Also, what variable name is used?
Naj
Valued Contributor

Re: SMH is reporting Management Processor None; iLO reports "host is unnamed" for server n

Hi,

What iLO version are you using?

Frequent Visitor

It appears to be iLO 1. The web page is just indicating iLO not (iLO 2).
desertdog
Frequent Visitor
Solution

I found the answer. Adding rocommunity public to snmpd.conf and restarting corrected both problems.