New Discussion юеВ

SNMP Issues on DL380 G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

SNMP Issues on DL380 G6

Hello all,

I am having an issue with my DL380 G6 servers (W2K3 Std, Ent, R2, any version of 32-bit) that the SNMP service does not stay running. I have tried agents 8.22 and 8.30 and they do not stop the problem from occurring. Has anyone else had this issue?

Please let me know.
6 REPLIES 6
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP Issues on DL380 G6

use firmware cd 8.6 boot from it update all firmware then reaply the smart start cd in windows and explore the cd and install psp pack again , , now in reboot and in windows ensure snmp is installed , in services ensure it is running , disable firewall meanwhile

snmp public is corrrect option ,,

enjoy
points appreciated:)
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

That wasn't really helpful.

We just installed the OS on these servers and they came with the 8.6 firmware on them.

I'm looking to see if anyone else is having problems. We've got SNMP configured per our normal configuration and it keeps stopping. I have not checked it over the Holiday weekend to see if it is doing the same thing or not yet..
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am having the same problem. I believe we narrowed it down to HP SIM performing a data collection job on the G6 servers. If you manually run a data collection job on a G6 server, to test, you will see the SNMP stop shortly after the job is run. And this is very repeatable.

Furthermore, we belive this is a problem with HP SIM 5.2 SP "X". If you are using HP SIM 5.3 SP1, you "should" not see this problem, but I have not verified this. According the HP, only SIM 5.3 supports the G6 model, so the SNMP problem could be one of the reasons why.

Nelson
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Nelson,

That does appear to be a problem, however it looks like there are several other times that it stops. I've updated to Agents 8.30 and I have disabled the Performance Monitor agent.

Other than upgrading to SIM 5.3 (which we'll probably do) what do you suggest?

I tried contacting HP Support and they were not helpful.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I don't have a solution other than to disable the default data collection job that comes with SIM, and create a custom one. In the custom one, I skip all G6 models. That way I at least get data collection on the majority of my servers and just live with no data collection on the G6...which would fail anyways because the SNMP service fails and kills the data collection.

Nelson
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Disable Data Collection Job in SIM and update agents to 8.30.

This sufficiently solves the problem until an upgrade can be performed for SIM.