1752812 Members
6411 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP traps and ILO

DiPersiaTech
Occasional Contributor

SNMP traps and ILO

I've setup my ILO to send SNMP traps to a server.  Test trap comes through fine.  Also setup ILO to send alerts for failed authentication (For testing) - also comes through fine.

I then pulled a power cable out of my server - get the orange light on the power supply, and ILO itself shows a failed power supply.  But it doesn't send an SNMP alert.  Shouldn't it?  ILO firmware is up-to-date - server is an DL380 G5.  Same issue on a DL380 G7.

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I guess iLO will not send such traps, iLO will send traps for issues within itself but not for installed hardware.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

DiPersiaTech
Occasional Contributor

Seems silly - why even bother? I read that ILO can send SNMP traps for alerts in the IML. The power supply registers there, so why can't it send the alert?
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

iLO only sends out traps related to iLO alerts. If you want traps about server alerts, you are going to need to have the HP agents running. Then, you could enable iLO to forward these traps generated by the agents to your server.

So how do we receive alerts for bare metal servers that don't have any agents running? What do we rely on in this case?

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

On the current G6/G7 ProLiants you need to install the HP Agents to be able to get those kinds of alerts.

But, the new iLO4 in ProLiant Gen8 comes with embedded alerting, in other words, agents aren't required anymore.

Thank you, Oscar. Is there any documentation available on the design intention for the coming Gen8 platform, including iLO4, the new Gen2 c7000 Enclosures and OAs, and the new HP SIM 7? And, how they will all work together?

Customers have been starved of any real innovation from HP in the management space for a very long time and it would be good if HP finally produced a detailed and informative roadmap for the Gen8 stuff.

For example, with the Gen2 Enclosures, customers might be hopeful that HP will have created an application like VCEM (except that it is for OAs) from which all OA/Enclosures in the enterprise datacenter can be managed. Maybe this will even be integrated into HP SIM 7.

Tell us how extensible the new technology platform is. Tell us how it changes things for legacy iLO and OA management. Tell us how it changes AAA across HP server infrastructure. Tell us how legacy iLOs can better take advantage of and be incorporated into the Gen8 platform via a firmware update.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

General information is being released now somewhere, detailed information will follow soon after... Have more info already but under NDA... But I can tell U that it will bea big step forwards...

Afaik there will be no Gen2 enclosure or whatever, only the blades... The enclosure as such is just a metal box with a signal midplane, not that much to upgrade there...

VCEM for OA's? From the beginning in 2006 U can interconnect enclosures with a simple ethernet cable so that U can manage multiple enclosures from 1 single console in your web browser...

Difference will be that the ILO4 will have a local SSD based repository which will hold the SPP and Smartstart alike sources so that U can deploy and patch the server locally instead of from a central repository somewehere...

SIM 7 will be a typical upgrade with newer modules inside supporting Gen8 servers, ILO4 and integration of SUM 5.0 off course... And some more things but also under NDA... Will be released soon...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !