cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOund Card for ML370 G5

Dennis Rhine
Occasional Contributor

SOund Card for ML370 G5

We are replacing an older generic server with a ML370 G5. This server not only functions as a file server but also as a streaming media server. For this reason we are needing to have a sound card. What types of sound cards have you worked with that will plug into eith the PCI-E or PCI-X slots?
3 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: SOund Card for ML370 G5

Your best bet is with a USB sound module so you don't have to worry about slot compatibility.
Dennis Rhine
Occasional Contributor

The USB sound modules that I have seen are geared towards playback. What we are doing is getting the audio stream into the server and then sending it out through the network/Internet.

Any ideas there?
Nicholas Hildreth
Occasional Contributor

We have a ML350 G5 and succeeded in attaching a USB Sound Blaster Digital Music LX box. It installs and works fine, although I think from memory we needed to manually switch on the audio service of the server as it is disabled by default.

There was one problem however with using this card and I suspect other USB sound cards. Simply put, when our sound card is pluged in to the server, the server won't boot up. By this I mean, the BIOS stage of the boot process fails and doesn't switch over to the windows stage. I suspect it has something to do with either power usage or most probably those legacy boot drivers being incompatible. Removing the USB cable will allow the server to boot (with the aid of the reset button). So what we do is keep the sound card disconnected unless it is being used.

I haven't tried this myself, but I've had reports that by disabling all the USB ports in the BIOS the boot problem is resolved. Apparently disabling the USB in the BIOS in no way effects windows.

Nicholas.