108789 Solutions
New Discussion

SPP update: Node Inventory failed on Gen10 ProLiant DL360 after running SUM

SOLVED
Go to solution
ay_jay
Advisor

SPP update: Node Inventory failed on Gen10 ProLiant DL360 after running SUM

We have a I have a ProLiant DL360 Gen10 server we are trying to update the firmware on using a custom SPP package built from 2022-03.

I created a custom bootable ISO which we uploaded to a web server.  In the iLO console for the server, I attached the "CD/DVD" ISO via Virtual media URL to the ISO, and it seemd to connect to it with no issues (at least once we tld the server to boot from iLO virtual media in the settings).

I selected the option to do the interactive update once it came up, then it showed something about the server being set up securely and prompted for Administrator credentials, which I enetered since we have an Administrator password set up for iLO.  That seemed to work, up until I got the error message as follows:

Localhost, Node inventory failed.
"Cannot perform the operation now. Reason: Connection failed to node . Verify no firewalls are blocking traffic between the system running SUM and the remote node."

So I tried to disable the RSBU admin password in System Settings only to find out that one was not set.  I found that out because when I entered one (then reentered it to confirm), the next time I booted it prompted me for the admin creds where it did not before to allow system config changes.  I tried to disable it using the only HPE instructions I found, which said to add a "/" to the end of the password to disable it, but it said that was an invalid character when I tried to change or add it that way.  Now I don't know how to disable the password I have definitely set, which gave me the same result (it only prompted for Administrator or iLO credentials, but fails anyway) when attempting to update the SPP.

Any help here would be appreciated.  Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
support_s
System Recommended

Query: SPP update: Node Inventory failed on Gen10 ProLiant DL360 after running SUM

System recommended content:

1. Release Notes for Gen10 Service Pack for ProLiant, v2022.03.0

2. Service Pack for ProLiant - Downloading and Installing an SPP

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

ay_jay
Advisor

Re: Query: SPP update: Node Inventory failed on Gen10 ProLiant DL360 after running SUM

I'm not sure how that helps.  I've already created and downloaded the correct custom SPP, I'm just having some trouble starting it properly.  Could you be more specific with the release notes or within the link?  Thanks.

ksram
HPE Pro

Re: Query: SPP update: Node Inventory failed on Gen10 ProLiant DL360 after running SUM

Hi,

Thank you for the Post.

Could you please try using a full SPP iso file and check if it progress further.

Also try it on different Server just to check if there are any Network related or any other issues.

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ay_jay
Advisor

I've tried uploading the ISO media to the iLO5 HTML5 console of the server driectly from my computer.  I had the same results at the same spot.  It loaded and began the Inventory, but failed at the same place.  I've used this method before without issue. It took longer to load, but it did work.  I'm not sure what has changed with this version of SUM or the SPP package contents.

The reason we initially worked with a custom SPP file is because the full SPP ISO files have been probelmatic to load and store in the past and difficult to work with since they're so much larger on the disk.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please try the below : 

1)  Launch the "launch_sum.bat" from your DVD / Virtual Media / USB on your Windows Server.  Make sure you're running with an Administrator account (it doesn't have to be the Administrator account - a simple "Run as Administrator" will do.)

2)  Open a browser and navigate to the link the "launch_sum.bat" provides.  Type in your Windows administrative account username and password.

3)  Now - before you do anything - click the little down arrow to the left of "Smart Update Manager 8.4.0" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.  Select the "Nodes" option in the menu that pops out.

4)  It will probably start looking for the node and show a "Invalid password ..." That's OK - ignore it for now.

5)  Instead, click on "localhost" in the left-hand pane to make sure it is highlighted and selected.

6)  Now, look at the upper-right-hand side of the screen for the green "Actions" button with a down arrow.  Click the down arrow next to "Actions".

7)  Choose the "Edit" option from the menu.

Scroll down just a bit and you'll see TWO credentials sections:  "Credentials" and "iLO Credentials".

9)  Enter a Windows account username and password (that has administrative permissions) in the username and password boxes in the "Credentials" section.  It doesn't have to be THE built-in Administrator account.

10)  Next, enter your iLO username and password in the username and password boxes under "iLO Credentials."

11)  Now click on the green "OK" button at the bottom.

Basically you just have to try starting Hpsum (hpsum.bat) as Administrator and let us know if that helped.

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ay_jay
Advisor

We are NOT using any Windows machines and this is SUM version 8.9.5.  All we have are Red Hat servers on our network and this particular one we are starting with is an ESXi 6.7U3 host in a vSphere cluster which we are trying to update firmware on.  That is why I have loaded the ISO directly to the server, so there should be no firewall issues because it is the "DVD" ISO on the localhost connecting to itself.  The ISO file seems to load SUM from the remote https URL connection where the ISO, so I do not suspect that is the error we are getting for "connection failed to node" since it is the Localhost.  Please assist.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Could you please try booting from the ISO directly using One Time Boot Menu and check.

And also share Screenshots if possible.

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

ay_jay
Advisor

If you read the first post, I've already done that.  So far, I've attempted to mount the full ISO (~10Gb) and then the Customized (~6Gb) as virtual media in the iLO console from both a web server on our network using a URL, and also from my local machine (laptop connected to iLO5 via VPN).  I'm working remotely, so I do not have access to use a thumb drive.  However, the connection between the webserver and my laptop mounting the ISO to iLO of the server seems to be fine, since SUM loads after booting... I can get past the menu screen where you can choose "interactive mode" and to update firmware.  In the Localhost Guided Update, after completing the "Inventory of baseline" that starts automatically, SUM tries to run the "Inventory of Localhost" in the second part of Step 1 but it fails, as described in the original post.  I'm not sure I could be moe clear.  See the screeshot.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 11.24.42 AM.png

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thank you for explaining again.

Understood the issue, but here we are unable to confirm what is blocking.

You may try below :

>> Try using a different SPP file (older versio) just to check if that proceeds.

>> Any other additional Security Settings (from BIOS / iLO) - if yes, remove them and try

>> Update only BIOS and iLO, then run SPP

>> Different Browsers

>> Reset BIOS and try

>> Clear NVRAM (this would require Physical intervention)

>> or I understand you are in Remote Place, but try to boot using a USB Thumd and check.

If nothing helps you may have to log a Case with HPE for suppot.

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo