108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSD Compatibility for DL580 G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
TopHatPrdxns115
Occasional Advisor

SSD Compatibility for DL580 G7

Hello! This is my first time posting here. I'll try to keep things to-the-point.

I recently purchased a ProLiant DL580 G7, and was hoping to use an SSD with it. The drive in question is a WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB SATA SSD. It's currently plugged into one of the front-facing bays on my server, and the indicator LED for it glows steady red. I understand that this means the drive is offline and cannot be used. Something tells me that this SSD is incompatible with this server, but correct me if I am wrong. If this SSD cannot be made to work with the server, what other affordable SSDs could I get in its place? Looking for something between 512GB and 1TB (1024GB) in capacity. Thank you for your time and consideration.

3 REPLIES 3
ccundiff12
Occasional Visitor
Solution

I would check to make sure the drive is good, and installed / seated properly. I can confirm that the backplane supports ANY consumer SSD i've put in my DL580 G7.  It works with both the onboard P410i as well as LSI HBA controllers.  If you are using the onboard P410i, go into the menu during boot and see if you are given any warnings.  Also if you have the ACU installed you can just launch that.  I've got a mix of SAS and sata drives installed in the front drive bays. 

IF you want to go really crazy... you can move some cables around and get one SSD installed DIRECTLY on the system board.  It's not a bolt in fit, but i can confirm it works.  It'll be connected to the onboard SATA controller and NOT be seen by the P410i.  Turns out this works great for a local esxi Datastore when you want to use the onboard controller for ALL shared storage.  the port is located in front of the power supply backplane down on the system board.  you'll have to disconnect several cables, install the drive, then arrange the cables in such a way that it's not causing the drive to stand straight up.  there is both a sata & sata power connector right on the board.  It turns out to fit perfectly.  Of course in this configuration you will NOT get a red light indicating a drive failure for that particular drive. 

TopHatPrdxns115
Occasional Advisor

I'll go on and pull the SSD for a quick test now, to see if it's faulty or not

TopHatPrdxns115
Occasional Advisor

I ended up having to initialise the drive on another computer, because the DL580 G7 didn't appear to have an easy way for initialising drives on its own. The smart array controller didn't even see it until after I threw a partition onto it. But it now ready for regular use