ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6062 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSD NVMe is not supported for Raid !!

ralfgro
Advisor

I'm a bit confused. We want to use an all NVMe approach for Ceph and got feedback from HPE that SLES 15 would not support boot from NVMe. Currently nobody at SuSE did confirm this. But I checked the datasheet of one of the NVMes we want to use (this one not for boot) and there is a lot about SAS in it. I don't think SAS is involved with this NVMes, right? It seems also to be a problem to configure a DL380Gen10 with 3 x dual port 10GbE adapters and more than 8 NVMe devices, which is hard to believe.

ksumbly
Occasional Advisor

Hi Swapnil,

Thanks for bringing it up however, I still have a doubt. Will Smart Array S100i SW RAID able to do RAID configuration on NVMe x4 Lanes SSDs in Windows environment. If not, then what is the option or workaround to configure RAID with NVMe SSDs.

Also does the same logic applies to M.2 SSDs or for these we have some different practise. Will appreciate if you can address this.

Apologies for bothering you with too many queries at once.

Thanks in advance.

Lawrance Lee_1
HPE Pro

Is there an updated link to this document?
<h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa6-3464enw.pdf>

The link no longer works! 

Is it this document, by any chance?  https://assets.ext.hpe.com/is/content/hpedam/a00040243enw

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
baber1
Regular Advisor

Finally, Is that possible create Raid1 whle I am using 2 Nvme siak ?

aelberawy

as you mentioned the only solution to make S.W RAID on LINUX OS for example oracle linux can the created raid drive raid 1 be boorable for the OS ?
kondor
Occasional Advisor

Starting February 2021 and Proliant bios update 2.40 there should be an option now to configure software raid with nvme drives. I see the new option in BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Storage Options > NVM Express Options. The option name is "NVM Express SmartRAID SW RAID Options" but it's grayed out and I cannot enter that option. What should be done to be able to set two NVMe drives in Raid1 mode?

techin
Super Advisor

@kondor , this seems to be an old topic. I think you should consider creating a brand new post

T_1_6
Regular Advisor

Guys is this right about software raid in the BIOS now for DL360 Gen10?

I want to purchase a 10 SFF DL360, but want the OS to go on a pair of small NVMe drives, then use the remaining 8x3.2TB NMVe bays as a backup server with the storage pools created in Windows.

Seeing as the performance of the NVMe is so rapid, we should be very good for high intensity backup bandwidth.
If we cannot install the underlying OS on a small RAID1 mirror pair, we will not bother with this solution, but it would be worse to get a 10SFF SAS Gen10, more expensive, and slower performance.