cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL and NIC7781 on Proliant DL380 G3

CA1126548
Occasional Visitor

SSL and NIC7781 on Proliant DL380 G3

I have a third party web application that has difficulty accepting SSL transactions on port 443. Sometimes it works, sometimes it stops returning packets from the server and accepting new packets from clients. No logs, events or else. Seems like my networks cards (NIC7781) are not accepting anymore packets from port 443, but when this happens, all the other ports are accepting packets (80,28xxx etc...). I did setup a new box with this same apps and it works good. Any idea how to troubleshoot this problem?
5 REPLIES
CA859951
Honored Contributor

Re: SSL and NIC7781 on Proliant DL380 G3

From your text, the first thing I would try would be to reinstall the NIC drivers and make sure the IP Stack protocol drivers were properly loaded and configured. If all other ports are working fine and you have not set any "filters" on the protocol I would think misconfiguration.

Here is a download link for the NIC drivers: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/networking/us/family/model/5911.html?locale=en_US&prodSeriesId=407735
"Now is the only thing that's real!"
CA859951
Honored Contributor

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, NICs know nothing about ports, nor really anything above layer 2 in the ISO model. Of course, with NICs that do CKO (checksum offload) and now TSO (TCP Segmentation Offload) they are creeping up the stack.

As far as troubleshooting goes, the suggestions to be up on latest revs and such are always good. You might also try with another NIC and/or disabling certain offloads via ethtool and see what affect that has on the apparant lockup of the application on port 443.

You might also see if the application responds to requests to port 443 over loopback. If it does not, then that exonerates the NIC as the NIC wouldn't be involved in loopback communications.

there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
CA1126548
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I do have the latest firmware and software drivers for my NIC7781. I did also uninstall and reinstall the drivers few times but still the same problem.

High traffic is not even an issue since I'm getting this issue with just 6 or 7 simultaneous connection to my server. No filters are applied on my cards.

Any other idea or suggestions are welcomed.

AndrÃ
rick jones
Honored Contributor

were you able to try the "over loopback" test as well?

i suppose there is a small chance that there is a data pattern induced issue with the binary pattern of 443 in the data stream (or something else about SSL) but it would be rare. regardless, you could try putting the NIC in another slot, preferably on another bus. you could also try a different NIC of the same type - say switching the NICs between the known good and bad systems.

when things aren't working, you might also look closely at link-level stats as well as network level (netstat) stats - look for various forms of errors and/or checksum failures. compare with the known good system.

heck, you might even try connecting to a different port on the switch.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows