108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STOP error after PSP 7.8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mikearm
Occasional Advisor

Have similar issue, narrowed it down to Nic driver cp007290.exe.

Scenario:

4 x DL360 G5 Virgin Builds no imaging involved.
Applied PSP 7.8
On shutdown, automatically rebooted.
Removed auto reboot on error from windows.
Shutdown using command line or gui gave BSOD, with stop error 0x0000007e (......etc) but with no driver info listed.
Powered off server, then powered on and ok, until reboot.
Uninstalled all agents from add/remove programs, didn't fix it.
Forced install of PSP 7.7, which fixed the problem.
Started adding PSP 7.8 packs one by one and rebooted in between. Found cp007290 to be the one affecting my BSOD.

Conclusion
I'm going to stick with 7.7, for time being and update to 7.9 when it arrives.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Based on your suggestion, it should be safe for you to apply PSP 7.8, then just downgrade the NIC driver.

I don't think I'm having the same issue though- my BSODs have been very sporadic. I haven't been able to get onsite to shutdown and run any hardware tests, but I've continued to see one reboot a day, and the error is often different.

That really should point to memory, but all my RAM is fitted with "Advanced ECC" which has is still reporting 0 single bit errors. I could well be motherboard or similar but I'm unsure how I would ever diagnose that.
Mikearm
Occasional Advisor

Yes your right I could do the downgrade of just the nic driver but I prefer to authorise a certain PSP within the company so we have a standard across all servers.

Also on various other forums people are recognising other issues with 7.8, and BSOD.

I was thinking you might want to force a downgrade yourself and see if it helps clear things up.

Generally if a server fails here after applying HP packs, in the past we have found a downgrade or uninstall and reinstall often fixes the problem.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Just an update on this.
All diagnostics appear to check out OK.

The server still bluescreens once a day at least. Doesn't apear related to any particular activity.

I get different dump analysis each time.

Recently I've seen a number of event logs shortly before the bluescreens, relating to checksum errors in our SQL database.

I've also seen Active Directory log errors relating to database writes so it really looks like there's some sort of storage related error, BUT all diagnostics check out.

All HP phone support (yes we have a carepack) have told us up until this point is to go and reapply the PSP, which doesn't affect the situation. We have also reflashed the E200 RAID card.

Any possible advice would be greatly appreciated here.
Jonathan Rees
Occasional Advisor

We have same errors with our ML370 G5 servers, but running x64 R2 SP2. Removing SP2 and reverting to PSP 7.7 seems to have fixed it??
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

After an investigation by HP, they have claimed the issue was known and would be resolved by applying this firmware update:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/25762.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Prior to even logging the call I had check with the Version Control Agent that we had applied all updates, then double checked the "Drivers and Software" for a DL380 G5 from www.hp.com.au to ensure we were up to date on everything.

This firmware however:
- Does not show up on VCA
- Doesn't seem to exist anywhere on the australian (.au) part of the HP website
- Isn't listed on any page related to the server in question

Which made it very hard to find. I'm really concerned that an update, which was required to prevent regular Bluescreens, was so hard to get at.

The update was only applied a few hours ago, so it's too early to tell if it was really the fault. I'm still concerned someone's just following the "update everything" part of a checklist because I haven't found any technote or mention anywhere of this actually being a critical update.

But I will advise shortly.
Jonathan Rees
Occasional Advisor

We are running this version of disk firmware, long before the fault. This does NOT fix the fault, at least on x64.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

I have since been asked to update my E200 RAID firmware - again.
During our first conversation with HP, that was what was suggested. I had advised we were already running the latest, and was asked to reapply it.
I did so, and then sent them the ADU report to prove it.
They went through a few driver updates, then suggested we update the E200 firmware.

The server has been stable thus far- but it hasn't been 24 hours yet, and the server has held its own longer than that.

I'm really hoping this is it, I can't sit here reflashing the E200 every day in the hope of fixing it.
Jonathan Rees
Occasional Advisor

We are running P400 raid controllers. New fimware became available via HP SIM yesterday. Cannot find it on the HP site, and is dated as a June 2007 release. I have applied it to 3 servers, which have not crashed since, but only 24 hours so far
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Well no suprises here, the HDD update didn't fix anything.

I've got a business critical server going offline daily, as it has been for some time, and when calling HP back today, well, let's talk about updating my firmware some more.

Any assistance that doesn't involve reflashing again and again would be very greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end here.