4496 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: STOP error after PSP 7.8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Op

We had a situation where 932755 did not resolve and it turns out that HpCISSs2.sys passed a bad SRB block to Storport.sys which caused the bluescreen.

The following driver resolved this issue.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/26785.html

HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 version 6.4.0.32 (21 Mar 07)

Robo-
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

A Windows Server 2003-based computer that uses the Storport storage driver stops responding when you try to restart or shutdown the computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935919
Maybe offtopic but, I think, nice to know.
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Yet another?
'You may receive various Stop error messages on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937455/
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hrm, both of these articles refer to specific STOP errors. Whereas the issues we are all experiencing as somewhat more random.

There's always a possiblity of a link though. It wil be interesting to see whether this patch assists the public in general.
P.Ritaluoma

Hi everyone!

It has been about 4 days since I removed insight agents (add/remove programs -> Hp Insight agents). Zero BSOD's since that. Thanks very much from the tip to Bruce.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Be aware if you simply uninstall the Management Agents and don't install any other version, you won't be able to manage and monitor your hardware. For most servers, this is also not a good position to be in.
Jesse Zellmer
Frequent Advisor

Joshua makes a good point.

I installed (after uninstalling 7.8A), PSP 7.7A and have not had a BSOD in over 17 days. I have closed my case with Microsoft, since they keep wanting more memory dumps, and if my servers are no longer BSOD, I cannot provide them with one.

I am signed up for HP ProLiant Advisories, so hopefully soon they will come out with a fix for whatever the 7.8A and Windows 2003 SP2 combo is causing.
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Should this be the BSOD fix from hp?
HP Smart Array Driver Update -> v6.6.2.32;

'Updated the driver to properly handle shutdown events. On certain HP ProLiant servers configured with an HP Smart Array SAS/SATA controller (Driver version 6.6.0.x or earlier) as the boot controller, the system may blue screen or become unresponsive during shutdown after upgrading to Windows 2003 SP2 or applying Storport QFE (KB932755).'

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/27348.html
Arian van der Pijl
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately this update does not resolve the BSOD when shutting down or rebooting the server. At least not on my server (DL380G5).

To my knowledge there are 2 seperate issues with PSP 7.80?
- BSOD with the latest nic drivers on reboot/shutdown.
('Resolved' by degrading nic drivers)
- 'Random' BSOD G5 machines while in production.

Maybe problem nr2 could be solved by this update?
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

It does stand to reason that the Insight Agents cause the system to crash whilst interacting with a bad driver.
To anyone for whom the agents were the cause of the issue, I would be interested in seeing how this goes for them.

Although I would expect any of the people with a case open at the moment would have been alerted to this new driver, so who knows?

Unfortunately, my issue still seems to be the NIC drivers, so I'm still awaiting an update. HP _have_ acknowledged that these drivers cause an issue on reboot on shutdown, so I can't understand why we're still waiting on a fix.