1752311 Members
5278 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Saturate Internet Connection

Dan Jurden_1
Occasional Contributor

Saturate Internet Connection

I have a Proliant 1600 that has been serving as a file server on my home network for a few years now. This server has recently been saturating my internet connection to the point where the speed is almost dial up. When I unplug this server from my router, the speed goes back up to normal.

Does anybody know what might be happening?
Thanks
Dan
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Very possible you've been infected by a Trojan and you're unwittingly being used as a spam relay or something like that...
StevenHoldsworth

Yes is does sound like you are acting as an open relay. What os are you running. You could get a utility to track the traffic across your interface and what ports are in use and as always a decent firewall would help.

Steve
Live for today as tomorrow never comes.
Dan Jurden_1
Occasional Contributor

I am running Windows 2003 Server. I have cleaned all. This machine is running MDamon Mail Server software. I have run a virus checker on this and there were a few found. They were all cleaned and this problem remains.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Is your mail server software configured as an open relay? Or are you able to/did you configure it to only allow the sendong of e-mail from specified sources?

What ather services are running on the box? Can you attach a screenshot of the services that are set to "automatic" ?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
StevenHoldsworth

If you mail server is acting as an open relay you will have spam mail going via your server. You can test you server to see if it an open relay at the following site

http://www.ordb.org/submit/

Plus dont relay on the windows firewall get a decent firewall like black ice or mcafee

Steve
Live for today as tomorrow never comes.
Dan Jurden_1
Occasional Contributor

I have found and fixed my problem. It was my mail server. I had stopped the service a few days ago (after it was already started) and it did not fix the problem. Yesterday, I changed the service so it did not start automatically and restarted my machine. After waiting 5 minutes, the problem did not appear. Then I went and started the service manuall, and the problem started happening again.

So I digged deeper into the mail server and found that my wife had sent an email (with sever large attachments) to multiple recipents a few days ago. Six of the emails kept timing out. So the server was continually trying to resend the emails. I deleted those emails and now everything is fine!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Dan Jurden_1
Occasional Contributor

see prior message