Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving and restoring SmartArray disk configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Saving and restoring SmartArray disk configuration

We need to do some testing on two ProLiant systems, one DL380 G3 (SmartArray 5i) and one ML350 G3 (SmartArray 5302).
The systems are normally used for other purposes so I need to restore the boxes to their original config once the tests are finished.
One possibility is to use something like Symantec Ghost or Acronis TrueImage but is the following procedure possible?

0) save the original SmartArray configuration
1) remove the original disks (Raid 1+0)
2) install new disks, create logical disks, install OS and run the tests
3) remove new disks and plug in the old ones
4) reconfigure SmartArray and reboot original system

The OS is Win2K.
--
Orjan
3 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Saving and restoring SmartArray disk configuration

Orjan:

You can safely remove the original disks and place them to the side without saving the configuration since... The configuration is stored ON the drives themselves.

All you need to do is replace the old drives in the same slots they came out of and boot the server, the Smart Array will read the config and boot up your server.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Orjan Petersson
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Steven,
How far can you push the recognition of disks by the SmartArray controller?
Assuming two disks being used for Raid 1+0 on a DL380. Is it possible to move the disks to two free slots on say an ML350, and have the logical disk recognized automatically? (Not to boot from but just to be able to read the data)

Is there any documentation around this kind of questions?
--
Orjan
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You should be able to put those 2 disks in any server with a Smart Array controller and the controller should recognize the configuration, modify it based on the new slot ID's they are at and bring the array online.

They would even work for booting the different server. You just need to have the right registry entries for Windows to be able to boot from different Smart Arrays. I.E. Without the 6i registry info, you can't boot a DL380G4 with disks from a G3 or a G2. Same would be true for ML servers with different Smart Arrays.

I am sure there is a document somewhere, but can not offer you a link right now. Someone will though, I am sure of it, or I will find it later and post.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)