New Discussion юеВ

Re: Screen garbled in ILO3 remote console, unable to use RBSU / bios update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Be-El
Regular Visitor

Screen garbled in ILO3 remote console, unable to use RBSU / bios update

Hi,

I'm running a DL980 server with ILO3 firmware 1.70 and advanced license. Accessing the running operating

system (linux) or monitoring the POST works fine; upon entering the RBSU or booting a text-based installation

media, the console output is garbled (see attachment). The system becomes unusable in this state.

I've tried several Java versions (OpenJDK, Oracle) and Windows 7 with .NET 4.5, to no avail.

Any help to resolve this problem is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
waaronb
Respected Contributor

I have a similar issue on a DL380 G7, but it only garbles the screen when ILO switches to a graphic mode, (text modes work fine).

The annoying part for me was this happens on a motherboard I swapped out because the original one on a brand new system had another issue. But of course when I'm working on the server on-site, I'm not using ILO so I didn't notice until I was back in the office, in another state from our colocation where the server is. :(

It's still like that 2 years later after firmware updates to the BIOS and ILO so it's just a hardware issue I guess. I've learned to cope, and for me anyway, if I move the mouse around on the screen it can "clear up" some sections (while also making other parts garbled), so if I *have* to I can fix things if I'm unable to connect any other way. It's just a major pain. Unfortunately I have to manage servers in remote locations and I can't just swing by to swap out a motherboard, otherwise it would have been an easy warranty replacement (of a replacement).

Your issue may be similar... it seems like the output buffer of the ILO, or however it transmits the screen remotely, is buggy.

Can you tell if the display works fine locally on a monitor? That might help diagnose the issue.
Be-El
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

In this case the problems seems to be the other way round. Graphical output (POST calibration messages, POST icons about available features, linux framebuffer based console) work fine. I remember using the RBSU when I setup the server for the first time half a year ago, so the problem might not be hardware related, but a software one.

Fortunately the data center is just around the corner, so plugging in a monitor and check whether the problem is graphic card related, ILO related or Java/.NET related should be no problem.

Thx for the hint.

Be-El
Regular Visitor

Update:

The problem also affects the back vga connector. I was unable to check the front connector, but I would not expect it to work.

The system has 2 TB RAM and is running with 44 bit addressing mode. Maybe the problem is related to memory mapping in certain resolutions? Unfortunatly I'm unable to change the addressing mode without entering the RBSU... The first readable screen after POST is the grub boot menu, which is also not running in text mode.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I guess you could try a PCI VGA card and see if it's any better, instead of the built-in one.
Be-El
Regular Visitor
Solution

I was finally able to solve the issue by updating the bios to the latest version. The bios configuration screens and other stuff is working again.