ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752533 Members
5006 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Screws in the bottom hot plug of HP DL380 G9 ?

rusty0091
Visitor

Screws in the bottom hot plug of HP DL380 G9 ?

Hi,

there are four screws in the bottom of the second hot plug slot of my HP DL380 G9 which is stopping me from putting a hard drive in the slot, do you know why this is ? Is it intentional? How would I remove ?

Screenshot attached.

Many thanks !

12 REPLIES 12
Global_One_Tech
Advisor

It looks like that top server in the picture is missing a part (that is shown in the one below it in the picture).

They both have this Universal Media Bay cage:

http://partsurfer.hpe.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=786579-001

But the top server doesn't have the proper cage that two SFF drives would slide into.  You can't use LFF drives with that universal media bay cage.  I suspect if you look at the backplane in the top server, you'd see SFF drive connectors and not LFF drive connectors.

rusty0091
Visitor

Thanks for this, however I am trying to slide in 2 SFF drives and they dont seem to fit on. I can get one on the top bay but the screws are stopping me from inserting one in the bottom. What piece is it missing ? Is it the cage ?

I don't understand why there is a plug to fit my HDD at the back if I can't actually fit one in, am I missing something completely obvious ?

Thanks !

Global_One_Tech
Advisor

Looking at the picture again, please disregard my last post.  The top server isn't missing any part of the media bay cage.

I'm curious though, does the server below it have those four screws?  I just see that there is a blank in that lower drive slot.

Also just be thorough, what is the spare number of the drive you are trying to slide into the top server that is being stopped by the screws?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

That looks like the optional 2 SFF drive cage for the universal media bay.  I haven't seen one in the lab yet, but I do have a question into someone I know on the product team.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Global_One_Tech
Advisor

For what it's worth, here is a shot (from the reverse angle) of the Universal Media Bay cage without the optional 2 SFF HDD cage - yours has this cage installed.  It looks like the purpose of those four screws is to attach the HDD cage to the Media Bay cage.  I have to think they are necessary but perhaps they aren't tightened down all the way?  There should be an allen wrench type tool that came with the server to use to tighten those down.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Rusty I sent you a private message

Global_One_Tech
Advisor

If you find a resolution, please share with the community, thanks!

rusty0091
Visitor

It look slike you are right, it seems a bit of a design flaw with the UMB, the screws are present on all of the servers and I have tightened them all the way. I have been able to slide a HDD into the slot but it requires a certain nack. I believe the HDD's aren't showing at startup as they are not compatible with the RAID controller included with the UMB, would you happen to know what hard drives are compatible with this RAID controller (HP Dynamic Smart Array B140i Controller)?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Rusty please respond to the private message I sent you