1748151 Members
3749 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Scsi Driver

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Scsi Driver

I've been trying to upgrade a win nt 4 server (ML330) to win 2000 server but I get a message saying it cannot locate the hard drive. I checked inside the machine and it is using an integrated PCI card that has Ethernet, Rage XL, and an 'integrated Single Channel Wide Ultra2 Scsi'. Some numbers off the board are 176608-001 and '1ELFRU WF1002007001'. Some of the chips on the card say 'LSI Symbios' and 'PineTop'.

First let me say that it is very difficult to figure out whether you have the right SCSI driver. Nothing on the ML330 download pages refer to the integrated Video/Ethernet/Scsi PCI card. It's as if the card doesn't exist. :(

I tried using the 'Compaq 32-Bit SCSI Controller Driver' cp000391 and it failed. It looked like it was going to work and it loaded the hard drive with win2000 (first steps), as soon as it rebooted it couldn't see the hard drive.

I tried cp000278, cp000299 without success.

I ended up reloaded NT 4 Server from scratch and have kept it that way because I don't have an answer yet.

The only thing that I determined later was that the BIOS setting for OS wasn't set right, it was still set for NT 4. I read in one of your PDF docs for upgrading that it should be set to 2000. What does it do? Could it really keep the OS from seeing the SCSI controller? I really don't want to go through the 4 hour ordeal again unless someone is really certain that this bios setting will allow win2000 server to see the SCSI card.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Klotz
Granite Systems
603 625-0100
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Run the System configuration utility , make certain the SCSI Controller with drive attached is listed and " Controller or First " and the drive and the Compaq model is displayed .

Use the current Compaq Support Paq for Microsoft Windows 2000 to obtain the correct controller driver .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello Compaq People!
Do you even read these questions of just spout off some crap and hope the problem goes away!
As the user above states, I need drivers for the integrated NIC,SCSI,VIDEO card that is in all Compaq ML330 systems.
What is it?
Where can I get drivers without using not so SmatStart?
Why does this have to be so difficult?
If I go to any other site I can just find information out about the components and download drivers.
VM
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You Compaq People really has a lot to learn. Why don't you give us a choice to select the scsi driver needed. I have also been trying to upgrade to a win2000 server and I got so fare that I formatted the harddisc. But I got the same error as the others. But why . It can read the boot file ????. When I look at the answer to
this problem I get a link to a support pack containing 29.1 MB - I only need the Scsi driver. And how shall I install this to a PC without a harddisk. I think that You should take a look at other IT-Manufactuers supportpages. If this is the way for Your support - then we don't buy Compaq anymore.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

For You that end up here there is a solution CP000302.exe
or to replace the motherboard with one from an ordinary PC
(but You will have to replace allmost anything).
I did a little thinking and realized that the R&D are like the supportdept
they did nothing so You can use the driver build for NT4. named cp000302.exe
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello frustrated Compaq user. I feel your pain. However, I have some information that will help. The best way to get drivers for the ML330 is to use the Smart Start CD. If you boot the server from the CD you get a choice to create software diskettes. Use this option and create the support diskettes for the Windows NT 4.0. They work with Windows 2000. This option will create 5 diskettes. The second diskette of the set contains the Compaq SCSI and RAID Controller drivers. At some point during the install process you should be prompted to add additional devices [F6]. At this point you can use the second diskette to add additional drivers. The SCSi controller on the "Special pain in the a_s board" of the ML330 is the "Compaq 32-Bit SCSI Controller driver". Additionally, if you have either the Compaq LC2 or 431 RAID controller, you can use the driver choice of "Compaq Smart Array/42xx/43x controller". The LC2 controller is part of the 43x family. Ins't this obvious. Apparently Compaq thinks it is. Good Luck!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

To problem is that setup doesn't load the proper scsi driver, even when you have selected F6 in the setup menu.

Boot the server with the SmartStart 4.6X or higer, the proper version comes shipped with the server, else download it from compaq.
In the menu you're given three ways of OS installation, the third "Manual setup" will still not load the correct driver, but when you choose the first option "Guided setup?" it will load it.

System Erase might be asked to erase previous setup attemps!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I recently telephoned compaq with the problem of upgrading my ml330 to win2k as I have been having the the same problems as everyone else seems to have had... the SCSI card isn't recognised, I was told that before beginning to upgrade I should run a compaq utility on windows NT to remove all compaq drivers as win2k doesn't work with them... to find this utility search for sp17842 on the compaq site. (we're about to try it ourselves!!!)
ESTEVE Philippe

i've been trying with w2003 there were no problem to find the disk and remove the holders parttitions, i've been trying with linux there is no problem....

BUT BUT BUT, still i want to upgrade it as W2000 and i cannot coz the disk still invisible even with W2000SP4 install.... What the hell is this mystery, is somebody can help me to mount this f...... drivers for W2000 i really don't need a W2003 or a linux in my server staff thx ;)