5697 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Scsi controler in DL380G4

mahnaz
Advisor

Scsi controler in DL380G4

Hello all,
When I connected the raid(Raidtec)to the server (DL380) scsi port the OS (w2k server) can't load,because it can't recognize the hard.
I think there is a conflict with hard and raid with scsi port???!!
Could you please help me?
Thank you.
---------
Regards
Mahnaz
8 REPLIES 8
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: Scsi controler in DL380G4

You have to change scsi controller order in BIOS and/or move raidtec controller to other (with minor priority) slot.
regards,
Andrzej
mahnaz
Advisor

Hi,
I tested it in several modes,it can't recognize any External Devices (Raid or Tape)????!!!!
How can I change this configuration of scsi controller??
I think it should support the External Devices because it says it in its Documentation that support it but I don't know how can I do this configuration.
Could you help me again?
Thank you.
----
Regards
Mahnaz
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Sorry for misunderstanding. You want to connect other device to external scsi port, yeah. Make sure that you don't have dual bus backplane in your dl380g4. This is default configuration in some models. If so, you have to change this (you cannot connect to the same channel internal and external at the same time) to single bus - have to change termination - it is described on cover. then you can connect external devices.
regards,
Andrzej
mahnaz
Advisor

Hi,
This DL380G4 is dual bus,in it's documentation in Server Cabling section says:
The simple/duplex SCSI backplane supports six cabling configurations including:
-Embedded simplex
-Embedded duplex
-PCI simplex
-Mixed duplex(two configuration options)
On the server cover there is a map for every configuration.
first I tested Embedded simplex SCSI cabling,
I removed terminator board and connected short SCSI cable,when I run the SmartStart for the first time it recognized the port2 for Raid but with the unknown status but after I refreshed the configuration it only recognized the port1 that it is the array of Hard(3*146GB) from ID 0-5.
Ofcource in this case when I restart the system it comes up and OS(w2k server) could be loaded but the windows couldn't know the Raid????while in the manufactured mode(Embedded Duplex SCSI)the OS couldn't loaded when Raid connected to external VHDCI port!!!
Could you please help me more?
Thank you so much.
----
Regards
Mahnaz
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

If you correctly connect simplex cage, all internal drives are on channel 2. External connector is SCSI chanel 1. Do connection i the same way as it is described on cover plate - after removing scsi terminator you have to change cabling.
regards,
Andrzej
mahnaz
Advisor

Sorry, yes you are right,every internal drives are in port2 and externals are in port1.The connection cabling is correct accourding to the cover plate.
Now (I don't know why)the windows can't comes up!!!??? and durring booting it says:
PXE-E61:Media test failiure,check cable
PXE-M0F:Existing HP PXE ROM
System will automatically reboot
and there is a loop because it can't boot then reboot and the above message appeares?

I inserted SmartStart CD again and run Array diagnocies and save the report that I send it.
Really thank you for the help.
-----
Regards
Mahnaz
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the PXE messages mean the server is trying to boot from the Network, but there's no cable connected. Usually booting from network is last in the boot order (after floppy, CD and Hard disks), so it could not find any OS to boot on your hard disks.
What is the boot controller order in ROM Based setup Utility (F9 setup)?
I've heard of problems trying to get non-HP disk enclosures recognised on a Smart Array controller - I don't think it's possible. I would guess that this Raidtec box has it's own RAID controller (exactly what type of box is it?), which will not work on the same bus as a Smart Array controller - which controls the external port on the DL380 G4. My guess is that you would need a separate SCSI controller to attach this box.

Regards,
Stephen
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

I think, the best solution fo r now, is connect only internal drives and check, if os is loading...
In attached log is statement, that drives are ok but data are corrupted.
Good luck :))
regards,
Andrzej