1752794 Members
6207 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Serial Number change

defuseme2k
Occasional Contributor

Serial Number change

We have a custom asset tool which stores serial numbers for our servers in a database. I am trying to keep this up-to-date by using WMI to query the server, and then updating our tool. In some cases the serial number does not match the Chasis causing our tool to be updated with teh wrong serial. I've started logging these changes, and it forces us to go to the server and compare the serial on the chasis to the one in the bios.

My question is, is there any way, from windows, to update the serial number stored in the bios without having to do it directly in the RBSU??
3 REPLIES 3
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: Serial Number change

Dunnow what kind of server you have, but for example you can make a survey with HP Insight Diagnostics
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Serial Number is part of the SMBIOS specification controlled by the DMTF. On ProLiant 300/500 and BL servers, in addition to entering it directly into RBSU, you can use the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit to program it while the system is online.

However, be aware that the architecture of x86 systems is such that the values in the BIOS are only read at boot, so even if you change it online, it will not become effective until the next reboot.
defuseme2k
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I will go and take a look at the smart start scripting toolkit.

I had found all the infromation on DMI and the DMTF/SMBIOS stuff, but had hit a brick wall aside from just querying the data. Changing it is a big difference ;).