3727 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Server 2008 R2 deployment on DL460c Gen9 in UEFI mode

nanex
Occasional Visitor

Server 2008 R2 deployment on DL460c Gen9 in UEFI mode

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to deploy a standalone MDT build (Server 2008 R2 ENT x64) onto a Proliant DL460c server via iLO Virtual DVD Media (ISO) in the UEFI mode. The ISO boots up into WinPE properly, formats the drive with the GPT architecture and applies the operating system. When the server reboots back onto OS to carry on with the rest of the deployment I’m presented with a message prompt to insert CD/DVD media to continue the deployment. What I found out is that once the server is rebooted into OS, the mounted ISO is not present/visible, hence the deployment cannot reconnect back to the ‘build content’ to carry on with the build.

The ilo page (Virtual Media section) shows that media is connected. I can see the CD/DVD media is 'ticked' in the Virtual Drives within remote console, but it does not appear in the OS.

Also, the CD/DVD drive doesnt appear when I attempt to mount it manually.

The problem doesnt occur when the image is deployed in the BIOS Legacy mode. The above anomalies happen only when the deployment is performed in the UEFI mode.

The server/build details are below:

Build type: Standalone ISO Windows Server 2008 R2 ENT x64

Server model: Proliant DL460c Gen9

System ROM: I36 v1.40 (05/06/2015)

System ROM: Date 05/06/2015

Backup System ROM: I36 v1.32 (03/06/2015)

Integrated Remote Console: .NET Java

License Type: iLO 4 Standard Blade Edition

iLO Firmware Version: 2.20 May 20 2015

The ISO has been successfully deployed on a virtual environment in UEFI mode.

This has been driving me crazy for quite some time, and I think I ran out of ideas.

I would appreciate your ideas/suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You may want to glance through the ProLiant UEFI Deployment Guide
http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7829634&docId=emr_na-c04565930&docLocale=en_US
For 2008 R2 you need to disable UEFI Optimized Boot

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
nanex
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply.

The UEFI Optimized Boot is disabled.

I have gone through this Guide already, but couldn't find anything that would help me to solve my issue.

I don't think the issue is related to the booting process, as the Server boots from ISO just fine. It applies the OS and restarts (boots onto Operating System) to continue with the deployment, where it stops as it's unable to access the 'build content' on ISO. I don't get any error messages, and the only thing I can see is that the CD/DVD drive is not visible in the OS. It's not listed in the disk management/, even though I tried to mount it manually.

Unless I am missing something, or looking at this problem from completely wrong angle.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry, I misread you initial posting.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!