108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server Fans DL380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shayne Green
Occasional Contributor

Server Fans DL380 G5

I am having a problem with 2x Proliant DL380 G5 Servers. Every so often the internal fans go into hyperdrive and generate a tremendious amount of noise. I would liken it to the sound the server makes on boot up before the management drivers kick in to control the fan speed.

Normally a reboot will resolve the problem. However coming into work this morning the problem has reared it's ugly head and not even a reboot has resolved it. The servers are in the same office in which I work so as you can imagine the noise is very annoying. I am running PSP 7.80. I would rather not upgrade to PSP 7.9 as the network driver have caused instability issues. Help!!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hello :)

Instability issues with network will be solved with disabling TOE and RSS in NCU.

About the noises... Which is your bios version?
And what is the temperature in the room?

Regards,

Mi6t0
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Shayne,
If PSP7.9 has solved the noise issue & created network issue for you;
Upgrade to PSP7.9
&
Downgrade to Network drivers to the one present in PSP 7.8

Regards.

BTW : what network issues are you referring to ? & are the FIRMWARE up-to-date ??
Shayne Green
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I experienced a lot of intermittent blue screens after installing 7.9. I ended up rolling back the network driver, dissolving the network team and disabling TOE. This has lead to some stability as there has been no BSOD for over a week now (touch wood). Anyway thanks for the suggestions, I will try updating the BIOS tonight, the current version is 2007-05-01 and I notice HP have just released 2007-10-18. In the meantime I guess I will just have to put up with the noise.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Shayne,

Are you sure that it isn't the power supply fans which are kicking in (and not the internal fans)?

There have been similar issues with the G5 power supply unit on ML370 G5 models (Same PSU).

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1158001

One easy way to check is if you have two power supplies, pull the mains cable on one for a few seconds and then refit it. Then do the other PSU. If the noise goes away it's because the PSU has reset properly and the thermal sensors are not forcing the fans to remain on.

The G5 power supplies work differently to previous models.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00772855&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards,

Brian
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Good one Brian; Helps us understand the concept better. Wasn't aware that there was an advisory for this noise issue.
Thanks.

Regards.
Shayne Green
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Brian, you were spot on. I removed the power cable from one of the power supplies, plugged it back in and all is ok once again. At least I know now where the problem lies.

Thanks Again

Shayne
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Shayne,

That's interesting to know as the DL380 G5 problem doesn't appear to be so common. I guess that's due to the fact that they are normally in a rack within a computer room and no-one would be likely to notice the difference in noise level.

It's obviously different if the server is within an office environment. Try to get HP to provide REV 06M power supplies if possible although this might be difficult to organise as they are replacing these units at a phenomenal rate just now and the revision levels appear to be changing weekly as HP engineering try to get to the bottom of numerous problems with the new G5 power supply design.

They should never have changed the way it works compared to the G4, G3, G2 models. A case of "If it ain't broke - why fix it".

Regards,

Brian