1752584 Members
4167 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server Hangs At Logon Screen.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Server Hangs At Logon Screen.

Has anyone had a problem with a Compaq ML530 where the server hangs at the logon screen in NT 4.0, and displays no error messages either on screen or in the event log? This problem is very intermitant (about 1 boot in 20) and when it happens, the keyboard and mouse do not respond. I have looked at the Microsoft site and although there are similar problems for other servers, the ML530 is not mentioned.
12 REPLIES 12
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Not much help for you, but I have hanging occasionally on my new 530 in testing, too. But, mine's on the opposite end, it hangs at Logoff or Restart occasionally, and ALWAYS hangs at a Shutdown. Only a reboot solves these. I'm at SP6, and do not have this problem with the same configuration on 2500s.

Any ideas appreciated also. I may try a fresh NT install, painful as that is. Have you tried that, incidentally?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had the same problem. It happended after I installed an additional CPU, and update the BIOS(ROMpaq). Now I am reinstalling the NT with SP6a, the problem still persists, but very intermitant.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hey, there's a common factor here, anyway. My new 530 that hangs has dual processors, also. Our IT-lab test 530 here had only one processor, and did not hang, from what I heard.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Just spent my another several hours with Compaq Support, finally, this time they told me that my two Xeon CPU's stepping's defference is more than 1 unit. You can find this out in NT Diagnostic. Now, they sent me two new CPU with the same stepping, and it works fine after about 20s reboot.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ive opened a right can of worms here because mine ML530 is single CPU not dual, but has got service pack 6a on it. The machine has now been noticed to hang during normal operation!! What is going on? The Microsoft site refers to simillar problems at the follwing q162250, but this is for MPS only.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a proliant ML530 Server aswell unluckily.I am also facing the system hanging problem i.e. it hangs within 6-7 hours without giving any error, Well,We have a Compaq Proliant ML530 Server with following Configuration
Dual Processor Intel Xeon 866 Mhz with 256KB Cache Processors1 GB SDRAM 133 MHz
Smart Array 5302 with 32 MB RAM Firmware Version : 1.28Total 6 Hard Disk Drives:
9.1GB Ultra3 SCSI Drives36.2 Ultra3 SCSI Drives
In this each 9.1 GB Hard Disk Drive is configured as RAID 0 Volumes
In this three 36.2 GB Hard Disk Drives are configured as RAID 5 Volumes
Now the problem is that the system hangs every 6-7 hours.
We are Running SAP on this Server.

Now after seeing this problems that you too are facing I am also taking out one of the processors and I would look to see well this problem persists or not.

well If Compaq has come out with any solution then please let me know as I am also using Proliant 3000 with Dual processor but there I am not facing any problems.

God help and god help Compaq to solvthis issue.

diwakar
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We have a collection of 6 ML530's that are experiencing intermittent lockup's and the ASR'ing. These are reporting no information to the event logs, or having any BSOD's. We have done extensive diagnostic, and had no success. One common denominator we found was that they appeared to be in the one Batch. Their serial numbers all begin with 8042CYMXXXXX, or other 30+ ML 530's belong to a different batch and are fine. I was wondering if this is the same batch as any of your servers.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Do you have a Smart-53xx controller installed? If so, is the cache accelerator module firmly attached to the controller?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We have the same problem except with a Windows 2000 Server, and SP1. The server runs fine, then locks up after about 8 hours. We now cant boot up the server.

Help!!!!!!!!!