1753300 Members
7394 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server Keyboard/Mouse passthru solution

Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Server Keyboard/Mouse passthru solution

We're looking into a possible crashcart solution in our datacenter. In the new rows they want to eliminate the HP KVM solution that we have in place along with the dongles. I DO NOT agree with their direction but I'd like to keep my job.

In any case, we're looking into having a rolling crash cart that we would roll up to the rack and hook directly to the server in question. I know that the servers will boot up without anything plugged into the keyboard or mouse ports but that leaves the ports disabled even if we do plug something in, they are not working. Does anyone know of a solution where we can hook something up as a "passthru" solution where the server still thinks there is something connected keeping the ports operational? Thanks and have a good weekend.

- Jim
4 REPLIES 4
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Server Keyboard/Mouse passthru solution

I would say using a USB keyboard and mouse on the crashcart would be the best option.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Yes, that is what we will be doing. I guess I was not clear. If we get rid of the dongles then nothing will be connected to the server's mouse and keyboard ports on the server (unless we bring over a crash cart) but the ports stay disabled once a server has rebooted, even if we hook up the crash cart the keyboard and mouse will not work.

- Jim
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Certain AlphaServers used to ship with a device from Raritan that emulated a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

I did a bit of Googling and found their products here:

http://www.raritan.info/products/access_periph/conv_emul_adpt/prd_line.aspx

The APKME looks like it might help you. It emulates a keyboard and mouse so the drivers start up properly in the OS, and you can then plug your crash cart into it when needed...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Thank you very much, looks like that may take care of us, now I just got to find out how much they are. Thanks again.

- Jim