1753862 Members
7415 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server Rebooting

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Server Rebooting

I have a Proliant ML530 that will spontaneous reboot itself every day or two. I believe it is a hardware problem rather than software because:
1. I get no BSOD or memory dump file from the Windows 2000 OS.
2. The Compaq Insight Agents don't record any error messages or traps.
3. Some times it doesn't reboot but just turns off.

I'm sure how to troubleshoot this problem. Can someone offer any advice?
Thanks.
Dave
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

A PS to my last post:
The server ran fine the 2 weeks prior to when this problem began. That was the last time I added any hardware to the server (a digiboard).
Also - One time when the server rebooted the system date was reset to the same date as the BIOS on the server (11/08/2000).
Today I disabled ASR to see if that helps.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Try removing the digiboad - there may be a conflict with option rom space (depending on what else is in the server) or firmware. You may want to move the digiboard and re-configure
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion but I figured out what the problem was. It was a failing power supply. One day it crashed and wouldn't power back up so we replaced the power supply and it has been up ever since!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you got it fixed.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem, my ML530 are running 1GB of ram, they are 1x 512MB, 1x256MB and 2x128MB. Running Windows 2000 server with SP2. The problem is the server will reboot itself everyday or two, I thought it was due to the ram, so I let the server to run with 512MB alone, and it seems okay, no reboot. I let it runs with 2x128MB also, same thing no reboot. And then I tried let it run with 1x256 alone, the server also works fine without any reboot. But when I put them all together to form 1GB, then the server will reboot once in awhile. Each time it rebooted, the win2k event log reports "Unexpected error occurred and server reboots." So I thought it might be the memory slot is the problem, so I replaced the system board but the server still reboot by itself once in awhile. Just upgraded the latest ROM, and monitoring it. Anyone has encountered this before? Please help!