1753774 Members
6154 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server Upgrade

BruceV

Server Upgrade

We are currently running an HP Proliant ML350 G4 server. Our server is heavily used and experiences frequent periods of slowness. We currently have only one processor (Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz) running on the server. Would we see any significant gain by adding a second processor ?
3 REPLIES 3
jaxvine

Re: Server Upgrade

This depends on the sort of the server. If your server is used for things like mathematics/arithmetics (eg Rendering), a second cpu will speed up the tasks. In the other case, when you do tasks which needs memory (eg virtualization) more ram will do the job.
BruceV

Our server is used for just about everything, domain controller, e-mail, internet, printing, applications, database etc. Our big problem is that our main business application and its database will come to a stand still at times because there are frequent large print jobs running through the server using 80% or more of the processor. Our software vendor suggested that we move that application to a dedicated server but before I do that I want to be sure we are getting the most from our current server.
jaxvine

In this case i think you have to upgrade both components (if possible). But no one can guarantee that it works well after a upgrade.

Have you tried with priorities? Just give your business application a higher priority. On Windows you can set it via the Task Manager. On GNU/Linux you can do it with the "nice" command.