ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752781 Members
6140 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server came with a CD can I use a DVD ? Too slow !!

Server came with a CD can I use a DVD ? Too slow !!

Server came with a CD can I use a DVD ?
I installed a DVD and it was really slow to install SUSE SLES 10.1.

Is there a patch or anything to do ?
5 REPLIES 5
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jose,
Which server are u referring to ?
& the DVD .. is that a HP one ?

I am not aware of any patches,
Regards.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure, what you mean by slow & how slow. Not sure whether you want to know if you can use a DVD disc with the server fitted with CD ROM drive.

If the server has been supplied with a CD ROM drive, it can't read DVDs. You would need a DVD combo drive (CD/DVD capabilities).

If you have been able to install SLES 10 with the installation DVD, then the optical drive you have must be a combo drive.

Generally, DVDs can contain 7 times more data (approx) than a standard CD. That's the reason you would have found the installation of SLES 10 slow. SLES 10 setup DVD i think contains the contents of 5-6 CDs. So it is like installing an Operating System from 6 CDs.

The case is :

1- The server came with a CDROM drive.
2- I have a DVD media installation.
3- I installed the DVD and unistalled the CDROM.
4- I start the installation and it was really too slow.
5- The same behavior happened with Netware 6.5 SP6 DVD instllation media.

So my question is, why is so slow ?
Did you try to do this change and the installation ?

The Server is a brand new ML110 G4 with 4GB of RAM and 2 SAS disk in a RAID 1

Thanks for being so fast

Regards

~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm... that means that the installation takes a lot of time to complete?

I have installed SLES 10 but from CDs (5 of them), so it took quite some time to install it because during the setup approx 4 GB of data is extracted & installed from the optical drive.

I'm guessing the same will be the case with the DVD, unless you mean that the DVD drive itself is slower to read. Which again could be expected because CD read/write speeds are higher than DVD read/write speeds. DVDs are improving by the day in this respect though.

However, if you suspect an issue with the DVD drive itself or the server, you could try it with another computer to see if the speed is any different. Also check if it a compatible / recommended part for the server.

331346-B21 - CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive Option Kit is the recommended option part for server.

Thank you, case is solved.
It was a problem with that DVD drive unit.
You took away the doubts that I could have any bug on the BIOS or any non-compatibility of a SAMSUMG DVD drive or a non-HP DVD drive with ML 110 system.