New Discussion

Re: Server doesn’t boot from hdd

SOLVED
Go to solution
setare
Frequent Advisor

Server doesn’t boot from hdd

Dear all,
I have 4 hp dl380 g6, that 3 of them are power down as spare. The are raid 1( I don’t know hard or soft configuration). They have suse Linux.
I checked one of the 3 , but it doesn’t boot up from hdd, it goes to NIC in a loop and restarted.
I did theses procedure::
1- for BIOS:
1-1. Check the boot order, it is:
Ipl1: cd-rom
Ipl2: floppy drive (A)
Ipl3: usb (c:)
Ipl4: hard drive c:
Ipl5: pci embedded hp
1-2 by f11 choose item 4 to boot from hdd. ( no result)
2-test hdd ,
2-1- on the faulty server just for a very short time hdd led blink during hp logo startup
2-2- on faulty server hdd doesn’t have any vibration.
2-3- i put hdd to another server( replace the destination server hdds), it can boot up on hdds, so the hdds are OK.
3- power check
3-1- i Check the voltage pin out of 10 pin power connector of hdd, pin 1 and 5 are 12 volt, pin 6 and 10 are 5 volt( so the power seems ok),
3-2- i exchange the first power module of this faulty with another OK server, i put the power module of ok server on faulty server, but again it make a loop from boot drone NIC and restart!!
Based on 3 main test snow it seems that bios, hdd, and power don’t have problem,
Now I think on connection between hdd and mother board. But i don’t know how tho check and what is the best steps. And the before tests whether enough or not.
So would you please advise me.
Thanks for your attention.
6 REPLIES 6
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Follow the below steps to isolate the issue.

Restart the server
Verify the HP SA controller detected on POST or not.
If SA controller (P410I...etc.)doesn't detect on POST.....Suspected SA controller having the issue.

If the SA controller detected on POST follow the below steps.

To get the RAID controller options – press F8 for the Arrays Utility:
Now in RAID settings, View your Logical Drive from your available physical drives:
Verify the logical drive availability

Follow the below documents for more clarification

HP Array Configuration Utility User Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00142272.pdf

Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array

.http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02289065.pdf

HP ProLiant Servers Troubleshooting Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00257512.pdf

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

setare
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sanjeev,
Thanks for your advises, sorry for my long delay, I read your suggestions. Here is my reports:
1- For step one I powered on faulty server, but it didn’t have any report about SA controller (P4101 etc), but in other ok server I don’t see this report in post. So it seems it isn’t the problem.
2- about f8 key I didn’t do it. be cause I think may be it needs more knowledge and makes the problem more complicate.
I pay more attention , at the end of post the after
“ press any key to view RIM options, appeared, F9, f11, f12 have been presented,
in next page this text reported:
“ System currently defaulted to typical configuration setting. Please run RBSU to modify default settings.
Press F9 key for RBSU
Press F10 key for system maintenance mode
Press F11 key for default boot order override options
Press F12 key for network boot
And other report.

I think the first sentence “ system currently defaulted to typical setting” is an important report.
What’s your opinion?
setare
Frequent Advisor

If this fault could be solved, I want to save the second hdd as spare one, could I delete raid 1 configuration and save the hdd.?Would this effect on the system boot up from hdd?
Thanks a lot for your attention, Hope every body be healthy!
setare
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,
Today I tested f8 , but the system reported this text:
Slot 0 HP Smart Array P410i controller
1783-Slot 0 Array controller is in a lock-up state. Due to a hardware configuration failure.( controller is disabled until this problem is resolved).
setare
Frequent Advisor

How can I resolve the problem to enable the controller?
Which hardware configuration failure is the root cause?
setare
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,
Thank a lot for Sanjee advices,
Based on hp trouble shouting doc for error 1783, i reseat the SA controller card, then powered on the system, it is OK.