1752765 Members
4981 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server -> Workstation...?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Server -> Workstation...?

I've recently retired a ProSigna 200/33 with 196MB of memory from server duty. Now, I'd like to use it as a desktop machine - i.e. a workstation. I was wondering if it is easy to install Windows 2000 Professional on this machine, and if there are any special Compaq drivers that would be required for such an upgrade. I'll also probably put a Matrox Millennium II 8MB PCI video card in it, should I expect any problems with that? Thanks, Kendall Hunter

PS any replies go to my email...
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

You should be able to do so, you can get all the latest drivers and utilities for Windows2000 from this URL: http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1137.html . Also, it is recommended that you update the ROMPAQ (bios) which can be found at the previous link and any smart array controller ( firmware) you may have in it. If you have any additional concers, feel free to call 1-800-ok-compaq.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark; I've been able to install Win2000 by following other recommendations on this forum, but that page containing all those drivers is fantastic!! Thank you! I searched your site but couldn't find that one on my own.

I've had one other problem - while TCP/IP works just fine on the machine, I often have trouble seeing the Microsoft Network. I seldom use it, but it would be nice to know why it's not there. I believe that it may be a problem unique to my situation (other Win2000 machines in the area seem to have problems, too) so I'm uncertain Compaq can help me out here, but if you know of a particular problem associated with the NIC driver that may be causing this I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime, I'm going to upgrade all the drivers & BIOS to the most recent ones and see if that helps.

Thanks again,

Kendall