1748151 Members
3710 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Server hangs before booting

linguist55
Visitor

Server hangs before booting

8 month old ML110 G7 with new installation of Windows 2008 server R2, patched.  Firmware updated.  Very slow POST.  Fan stays on at full speed.  When I power up the machine turns off by itself after 2 seconds and then turns on again by itself and begins POST.  Once I get to the line about CD/DVD drivers loading the server hangs.  There are no POST error messages or beeps.  The fan remains on at full speed.  I do not get to the message about RAID or boot drive options.

Anyone have any suggestions please?

Tony.

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Start from the basics:

• Remove any additional Add-On cards thats installed.
  • Remove any external storage connections and or USB storage devices.
  • Try with minimum amount of RAM.
  • Clear NVRAM from the System Maintenance Switch.

Refer to the HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Server Maintenance and Service Guide.

Page# 84 for DIMM and Page# 82, 83 for clearing NVRAM, switch 6.

Good Luck!

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

linguist55
Visitor

Thank you.  Have done as you suggested.  I now have one DIMM only in slot 2A.  I received the expected messages after maintenance switch 6 turned on.  It is now back off.

If I disconnect the DVD drive the machine then hangs at the new message: memory configuration change test invoked, and tells me that there are are no DIMMs installed!

With the DVD reconnected the original problem remains: if I start up after having pulled out the power lead and reconnected it, the machine still turns itself off immediately after power up and then comes back on.  If I start up without pulling out the power lead then the machine does not restart and stayed powered up.

The screen stops at Port1: (Optical) hp    DVDROM DH40N

Tony.

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

It sounds like you may have a faulty DVD ROM drive or connecting cable causing the boot process to hang.

It also sounds like you need more than one DIMM installed. It'll probably need a pair in one bank in order to boot, please refer to the label on the underside of the cover you removed for population guidelines.

Thanks
Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
linguist55
Visitor

Thanks Mark.

Still hangs when I disconnect DVD power and SATA cables.

Then the message at hang is the SATA Option ROM. 

What else could I disconnect?

It never gets to the RAID messages.

DIMMS are in slots 2A and 4B as per diagram.

Tony.

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Ok, I'd try removing the array controller assuming that it is a PCI card.
If not, try removing any cache that is attached to either the onboard controller or the PCI slot...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
linguist55
Visitor

No PCI card.  Will I need to remove the hard drives? I can see anything in a PCI slot.

Tony.