Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server hangs when in CMD, EDIT

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Server hangs when in CMD, EDIT

Hello,

We have three new DL380/866 servers. Each of them seems to hung if I go to Start - Run - CMD and then use EDIT- utility (like EDIT text.txt). This is not that bad that EDIT wont work, but I have feeling that this same problem relates to Oracle performance problems we are having (extreamly slow troughput).

I upgraded NSSD to latest version. Raid Array is 5300, 15k mirrored disks. IRQ's seems to be ok (10 = NIC, 11 = Array). No errors in EventLog. Oracle 8.0.5 and PcAnywhere 9.0 (+ latest patches) running in this server.

What might be wrong ? This is like hardware problem, but might be something else as well. I suppose that we don't have three bad servers. Others reporting problems with "EDIT" in CMD ?
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Server hangs when in CMD, EDIT

If you are running this server in a Netware Environment, maybe, you should check which version of DOS you are using. We support Novell DR DOS 6.0, Novell DOS 7.0 and Caldera DOS 7.02. The edit command comes from the version of DOS that was installed. This is not an across-the-board problem with the DL380, I was able to use the EDIT command just fine on the one I have in the lab. However, the problem you are having with the DOS editor may or may not be related to your performance issues with Oracle. You probably want to look at all PCI boards such as array controllers and nic cards and see if you can gain performance by putting them on different PCI buses in the server. Avoid the traditional interrupts that give Netware fits such as irq's 15, 2/9. Also, if you have added additional memory, make sure that the o/s has been configured properly to register all memory (use Netware "Set" commands). Another thing is that if you are configuring nic teaming, you may have to adjust Maximum and Minimum packet receive buffers using the Netware "Set" commands. Lastly, if you have multiple processors, check to make sure that they are configured properly. Press "F10" at POST to enter the Compaq System Configuration Utility and press "cntrl + A" to enter advanced mode. You will note a pop-up box stating advanced mode enabled...press enter and the pop-up box will go away...press enter to run the system configuration...configure hardware...review/modify hardware settings...view/edit details...then arrow down to advanced features section...check APIC setting...should be set to "Full Table Mapped". Save and exit. Be sure that Netware SMP was selected as the o/s choice. Also, check to make sure all NLM's are loading that are required for SMP. Otherwise, check to see if you are taking advantage of the caching capabilities of the 5300 array controller. Is read cache turned off? If it is, then of course, performance will be affected. What fault tolerance are you using, raid 1 or raid 5. Some are faster than others. Be sure to have all support packs from Netware.