ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751763 Members
6015 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server hangs when trying to perform a restart.

Dan Valenti
Advisor

Server hangs when trying to perform a restart.

I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 G3 server with Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000, I have all the latest patches installed, All of a sudden i noticed that when i go to restart the server I shows the window saying windows is shutting down, and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and stays there forever, I have to manually power down the system to bring it back up. Anyone know where i can start to try to fix this.

thanks
19 REPLIES 19
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

First thing to check is the Windows 2000 System event log. Any errors or messages related to restart times?

Does the same thing happen if you do a W2000 Shutdown (instead of restart)?

Is this a blinking cursor in the upper-left hand corner?
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I checked the event log and there is no errors. I seems like the system wont kick over. It gets passed the windows part but wont restart completely. Also the same thing happens even when i try to perform a shutdown, The cursor looks like a underscore and is in the upper left.

thanks
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Dan, I have seen this problem with both Windows 2000 Server & 2000 Pro, and with HP and non-HP systems. Since I do not know of a confirmed fix (except for re-installing), let me reference this Microsoft document:

Q266169: Troubleshoot Problems with Standby, Hibernate, and Shutting Down

From my own personal experience & experience with HP customers, this is the typical scenario:

- server has been up and running for months or even years.
- no change made, no software update, no installs...one day shutdown or restart results in black screen with blinking cursor in upper left
- no errors logged and nothing found with diagnostics
- once this has occurred on system, every restart/shutdown results in blinking cursor upper-left, requiring cold reboot (power off, then back on).

I certainly welcome any comments or additions!
Dan Valenti
Advisor

i tried everything on that article, Still no luck, Any suggestions what else i can try.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
Are you using any remote software on your server for example PC ANYwhere etc etc. If the answer is yes then I would suggest uninstall remote software, reapply the video driver and then reinstall the remote software. Please let me know the results if that's what you have.

Regards,
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I dont use any remote software on that server. It only has exchange 2000 on it.

thanks
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
From your earlier posting I noticed that you have mentioned about the latest patches etc. Have you installed 6.40 support pack from our website?? If that is the case then please downrev it to 6.20.

Regards,
Dan Valenti
Advisor

Im on 6.20 now, I havent updated it to 6.40 yet. Do you think i should downgrade the 6.20 to the lower level?
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I cant down grade from 6.20 cause the software is not available on the site, Any Issues with 7.0?