ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server hangs when trying to perform a restart.

Dan Valenti
Advisor

Server hangs when trying to perform a restart.

I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 G3 server with Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000, I have all the latest patches installed, All of a sudden i noticed that when i go to restart the server I shows the window saying windows is shutting down, and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and stays there forever, I have to manually power down the system to bring it back up. Anyone know where i can start to try to fix this.

thanks
19 REPLIES
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: Server hangs when trying to perform a restart.

First thing to check is the Windows 2000 System event log. Any errors or messages related to restart times?

Does the same thing happen if you do a W2000 Shutdown (instead of restart)?

Is this a blinking cursor in the upper-left hand corner?
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I checked the event log and there is no errors. I seems like the system wont kick over. It gets passed the windows part but wont restart completely. Also the same thing happens even when i try to perform a shutdown, The cursor looks like a underscore and is in the upper left.

thanks
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Dan, I have seen this problem with both Windows 2000 Server & 2000 Pro, and with HP and non-HP systems. Since I do not know of a confirmed fix (except for re-installing), let me reference this Microsoft document:

Q266169: Troubleshoot Problems with Standby, Hibernate, and Shutting Down

From my own personal experience & experience with HP customers, this is the typical scenario:

- server has been up and running for months or even years.
- no change made, no software update, no installs...one day shutdown or restart results in black screen with blinking cursor in upper left
- no errors logged and nothing found with diagnostics
- once this has occurred on system, every restart/shutdown results in blinking cursor upper-left, requiring cold reboot (power off, then back on).

I certainly welcome any comments or additions!
Dan Valenti
Advisor

i tried everything on that article, Still no luck, Any suggestions what else i can try.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
Are you using any remote software on your server for example PC ANYwhere etc etc. If the answer is yes then I would suggest uninstall remote software, reapply the video driver and then reinstall the remote software. Please let me know the results if that's what you have.

Regards,
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I dont use any remote software on that server. It only has exchange 2000 on it.

thanks
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
From your earlier posting I noticed that you have mentioned about the latest patches etc. Have you installed 6.40 support pack from our website?? If that is the case then please downrev it to 6.20.

Regards,
Dan Valenti
Advisor

Im on 6.20 now, I havent updated it to 6.40 yet. Do you think i should downgrade the 6.20 to the lower level?
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I cant down grade from 6.20 cause the software is not available on the site, Any Issues with 7.0?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
No I have not heard any issues with 7.0 yet. I would let you know for sure if there would be any. so far so good.

Regards,
Jake ~zippo~
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

i advise you update the BIOS to the latest one from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19855.html

then disable ASR in BIOS(Hit F9 to access it during POST).

Let us see what's going to happen~~~~~~~~

Good Luck!

--Jake
Freedom is offered to man and given to him as a task.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

One or more of the following solutions may resolve your shutdown problem in 2000:

1. IBM Tivoli Remote Control Driver: disable and/or uninstall this software if installed.

2. If Media Player 7xx is installed, see MS document # 306942 "Monitor screen is black or computer does not go into standby after Windows Media Player7 Installation". There is also a note about the Adaptec CD-Writer plugin. Solution is to remove Media Player 7.

3. Go to Windows command line and type:

diskperf -n

This turns off the default physical disk performance counter. Do a shutdown (you will still see blinking cursor). On restart the physical disk performance counter does not load - try a shutdown again and see if this resolves the problem.

4. Does the problem occur when shutting down from Safe mode?

Let us all know how it goes.
Dan Valenti
Advisor

I tried what you all said and now i get a constant blue scree with stop error 0x7b Innacessable boot device. cant even get into safe mode.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Dan

You need to be more specific - what changes did you actual make?

1. Was there an IBM/Tivoli software installed?

2. Media Player?

3. What else if anything was changed in 2000 before the BSOD?

And I still do not know if the problem occurred in Safe Mode (the blinking cursor).
Dan Valenti
Advisor

i installed the 7.0 support pack, ran the diskperf -n and then updated the bios. i have no ibm stuff on the server.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Dan,

Please email me directly at:

terri.harris@hp.com

If possible include a phone number where I can call you. Thanks!
Dan Valenti
Advisor

after 8 hours of messing with this server the issue was the vsp.sys driver from Veritas. I should of known . Thanks for all the help.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Were you able to actually recover Windows? And was it this Veritas driver causing the blinking cursor issue? If so we can add it to our list of things causing a W2000 shutdown blinking cursor...

Good troubleshooting!
Dan Valenti
Advisor

yes windows is backup and the VSP driver was the issue. I had to edit the registry on another computer and the reimport back into the bad computer.