ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server is not in a managed enclosure

Server is not in a managed enclosure

We have a 8 BL20p blades in an Enhanced enclosure. If I access the iLo of any of the first four blades, I can "see" the blades from the pClass->Rack View page, although the iLo address of slots 5-8 appears as 0.0.0.0.

If I access the iLo of blades 5-8, the Rack View page says "server is not in a managed enclosure". I also can't see the blades from SIM, although in all other respects they're fine: iLo works, normal networking is fine etc.

AFAICS the configuration of all blades is the same. Can anyone suggest why blades 5-8 wouldn't be picked up as the first 4 are?

16 REPLIES
Roberto_30
Frequent Advisor

Re: Server is not in a managed enclosure

Hi Kenny.
Have you upgraded at version 2.20 the Server Blade and Power Management Module Firmware ?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23164.html

Regards Roberto

AJ Paisley
Occasional Advisor

We are having the same issue here but there are some Ilos running 1.82 that are fine and others that are not. Additionally the Static IP Bay configuration reference is missing from the BL-P Class tab. We tried downgrading the firmware and then upgrading again.
Daniel Imbach
Occasional Visitor

Same Problem here...

We have 2 Racks with 3 Blade BL20p Blade enclousure. Everything fine, beside in one enclousure the first 2 Blade Servers have the error message in RILO "Informational: Server is not in a managed enclosure." We do also not see these 2 Server in HPSIM Blade Management console. For HPSIM it looks like these 2 Slots are empty?! Alle RILO Firms are 1.82 and every enclouse Firm is 2.20.
All HP Drivers and Software is current.

Also interessing: It's not possible to start the "HP ProLiant BL Rack Upgrade Utility" on these 2 servers! Check attached jpg file. Beside, the cabling is correct! :-)

Any ideas how to correct this?
Greetings from Switzerland
Daniel
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Kenny and Daniel, you can try to reinstall
HP ProLiant Rack Infrastructure Interface Service for Windows 2000/Server 2003 to Version 1.18 see if that help
Try to reset all cables on the back, specifically for management, Reset Management Modules (you can swap between enclosures), Physically and with reset switch.
Daniel Imbach
Occasional Visitor

Will try this on next maintenance window and will give you feedback.

Thnx
Daniel
Rich Colbert
Occasional Advisor

We have similar issues. We have a few enhanced enclosures that can't seem to figure out what's going on, and don't always show up in SIM 5.0's rack view correctly.

There are identical BL25p's in the rack, right down to the OS and firmware, all installed via RDP, and neither in slot 1, and one reports incorrectly that our power is not redundant, while the others report that it is. Reseating mgmt module has no effect. When the erroneous BL25p is powered off and then back on, SIM reports 4 errors that a hot plug fan was installed.

We've also had major issues when blades get moved from one slot to another. It appears that servers need to be restarted at least once after the move before things get back to normal.

Overall though, we're deleting and rediscovering a lot trying to figure out why with everything as up to date as possible, why SIM and the Rack integration agents can't keep everything sorted out.

IMO we're dealing with production beta code.
Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

This all sounds very familiar!
We're having the same problem as Kenny. The Rack View shows only 2 enclosures of the 3 connected.
Unable to enumerate components messages.
At the latest versions of everything.
Now one of our blades powers itself down and the only way to get power back to that slot is too put another blade in and remove it, then put the original one back in.

I'm losing a lot of confidence with these blades!
Regards
Tony
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

Sorry KOV, that links is broken. Does it point to a software\firmware upgrade?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Yes it broken now, but it should be back;
There was some typo in the file name bin.bin, which caused some confusion.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/6614.html

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24088.html

try now it works for me
try 2.20
can you open Rack Upgrade Utility ?

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

see attachment
Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

Yes that works, thanks.

On a blade in Enclosure 1 I get the unable to enumerate components error when I open the rack upgrade utility.
I can open it on a blade in the enclosure above it but don't want to upgrade the firmware in one enclosure without doing them all. Would that cause a problem?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

You can upgrade, firmware on all enclosures from one system as long you see them, do one enclosure at time
Actual file format cpqrmm230.bin.

For one where you can't open Rack Upgrade Utility - for future
Stop the Rack Service in Windows Services and update Rack utility with file CP005412.EXE from PSP7.40
chunlong
Occasional Visitor

I got the same problem after failed to update the enclosure's firmware from 2.03 to 2.30, now the rack utility won't run and seems the rom firmware of the enclosure were corrupted, it there any way that I can get back to normal, (I have tried to reset the enclosure and power enclosure, didn't work at all), frustrated!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

chunlong
Occasional Visitor

Problem solved, many thanks!