5410 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server locks up every morning

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Matthew,
We have just installed an ML370 and we are having the same problem with the blue screen (not the death one). It is random. Maybe we can compare notes and find out the common thread. Thanks for the two I notes. The scsiport one maybe an issue. Please mail me at gold@pcprofessional.com.

Thanks

Brian
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi
Brian I was wondering have you found a solution to this problem what would solve it?

Thanks
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have not found a solution as of yet. It is starting to point towards a printer issue. It seems to blue screen(not death) when someone is printing.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We are trying to answer all questions however, this forum was intended for exactly what you are now doing... helping each other. We will attempt to help whenever possible but can not guarantee a response to all issues.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Finally an answer to this problem. I have been wrestling with the server hanging every morning for the past 2 weeks. It took me a week to find out that it was the Exchange IS Maintenance causing the issue, then another week to research and try different fixes that I think I have found. I am going to try and move the Information Store. Great find. This is one Etch that is going home a happy camper tonight.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Addendum to previous post:

I am running Win2K SP1, Exchange 5.5 SP 4 on an ML370, 1 GB Memory, 2 ? 9 GB HD (Drive C: 4 GB, Drive D: 14 GB (spanning)).

I currently have ALL of Exchange files on my D drive. So I will not be able to move my Private and Public databases off the D drive. But, what I am wondering is?maybe the problem has to do with having the databases on the same drive as the logs? Spurlock?could this possible have been the issue in your case and by moving your Private database you got it off the drives with the logs? Just throwing out suggestions to find the direct cause of this problem.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hears one for ay , vie 2 ml370s both dual p3 933s and both with gig of ram, 1 has a compaq 50/100 it drive and 3x36 gig drives in raid 5 other is same but with 3x18 gig drives. The 3x18 is running win2k exchange2k, proxy and zetafax, this runs fine the other one seems to slow down and lock up every 3 crs, on this is win2k and veritas 8.5 and mcafees TVD, what happens is i run around the depts , solving probs and use terminal client to get in and alter any settings ie permissions etc, on the occasion when it locks i usually find this when i try goto properties on the selected shared drive ie w, i get error unable to access drive out of resources or disk space, even though ive got 1 gig free on sys and 60 gig on data. i then go down and look at the server and find i can move the mouse but i cant view the event log , or the start menu and eventually it stops, forceing reboot, ive removed terminal client and it still happend, thinking i was stealing resources from somewhere. This afternoon it locked 3 times and the last straw i stopped all TVD services, hopeing that tomm when i return it will be ok, can anyone throw any light on this , could this be a hardware fault??????????????, or software, aged old question i know.

thanks guys
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We are having a similar problem. We run an ML370, 640MB RAM, two 18GB drives with no mirroring (yet). We are running W2K with Exchange 2000 on this box, and we just recently moved our private information store from one drive to the other. As soon as we did that, the server began dying every morning during the online defragmentation of Exchange's private information store. We have since tried to move logs and data to the same drive (same problem), divide them several ways between the two drives, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone tried moving their Exchange installation to a different server type?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I should add that we can run an offline defrag of the private info store just fine (using Eseutil). We didn't have this problem before moving Exchange to the ML370.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Same I can also run an offline defrag with eseutil but i ran out of disk space. still trying to figure it out. If any one has found an answer please leave a post here thanks very much

Q