cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server rebooting problem.

Abhishek Srivastava_2
Occasional Advisor

Server rebooting problem.

I am having a DL 380 G3 server with 2GB RAM \ 2.8GHz dual processors. The server reboots at any time, some times after 2 days or any time. it shows no error in IML, event viewer or Server Diagnostics. The LED CR 42,43,59,66 & 67 are glowing as AMBER light. I have replaced the motherboard, RPS and PCM (power converter module), but the status is same as before. Pls suggest for any other options and what about the AMBER Leds as mentioned above.
8 REPLIES
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Server rebooting problem.

This issue is something related to one of the components on the system board. Since you mentioned that the system board, RPS and the PCM are replaced and still we are seeing an amber LED, I would like to know whether any PCI-X devices are installed in the server. Also try to reseat the PCI riser cage on the server and check.
Hope it works
Abhishek Srivastava_2
Occasional Advisor

No PCI card is installed in it. i have reseated the riser card also 2-3 times, cleared the NVRAM also.
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Disable ASR on RBSU, Automatic Server Recovery reboots the server everytime it hangs for certain amount of time..

If you disable it the OS will have teh chance to log the last error on IML and/or Windows Event Viewer, then you'll have a clue..

Also, reduce teh server configuration to minimun, i.e. 1 CPU, 2 Dimms, let it run, if it still hangs or reboot, swap CPUS and RAM and let it run again..

Run an HP Insight Diagnostics test offline, 3 loops, uncheck the "stop on first error" option, look for errors on the test logs..

eduardo_ckl@hotmail.com
Regards..
Abhishek Srivastava_2
Occasional Advisor

ASR is disabled, no PCI-X card is installed on the server. I have run Insight online diagnostics, offline diagnostics, diagnostics for windows, but no error has been found. Whenever I run diagnostic for more than 1 loop, the server either get restarted after 2nd or 3rd loop, so no data can be collected for more than 4 loops, but till 4 loops, no error has been found.
David Lalancette
Occasional Visitor

I have exactly the same problem

the led CR 47,48,59,66,67 are glowing as Amber light all the time. I don't find any documentation about those leds.

the last time, the internal health light fell to red and there was a long beep. I openned the the server and all the memory led was amber plus the cr leds that I have mentionned.

Where I can find the documentation about the Cr leds on the system board. I have read all the documentations about the dl380 g3

thank you and very sorry about my english...
Attila Szabó
Frequent Advisor

Dear Abhishek,
I will need to check tomorrow at the company for the LEDs, but as i remeber, those LEDs are for integrated Smart array 5iplus. There is a memory module connected to the motherboard (5i memory module), maybe that can be the problem or something from the RAID-SCSI-HDD system (eg. SCSI backplane, cables, Smart5i memory module). Most of the time, if the backplane or cable is the problem, the symptom is the HDD error LEDs are turn on. So i think its about the memory card (just a feeling).
First of all, try to test the server with only one power supply (and after with only the other).
At second, try to make a backup of data (better if done before).
And at third, flash the ROM of the server (BIOS), and the RAID controller also with the most current ROM image. There is many error correction in new images.
David Lalancette
Occasional Visitor

Have you find out the leds meaning?
Abhishek Srivastava_2
Occasional Advisor

I have replaced the Motherboard, Riser board, Processor, PPM, PCM and One RPS. The LEDs are Amber still but there is no problem of server rebooting.