1753501 Members
4737 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server won't start after reboot

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Server won't start after reboot

Guys, I've had my compaq DL580 win2k citrix metaframe servers hang on a few occasions for no appearent reson. Last time was yesterday after a scheduled reboot. It appears that the server never came back after the reboot. What happens is that the server powers up with power supply light on, drive lights on, and activity lights on, but the the screen is blank. I never see the monitor flicker as to refresh the screen it just set there blank. Hitting keys on the keyboard or clicking the mouse gets no response.

I've also had the servers to lock up after I Ctl-Alt-Del to get the login screen. It just sets there never bringing up the login
screen. The lights on the drives are lit up like its accessing data but nothing never happens. When I try to power the box off by pressing the power button nothing happens. The power button does not work. The only way I can recover is to pull the plug on the server and even then I've had occasion when it came back in the same state.
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What hardware do you have installed (controllers, memory...etc...)?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've been experiencing the same problems on a DL580 with Win2K. I have removed the onboard Raid module as I have a Smart Array 5300 Controller installed. If I do a warm reboot, I get an error message on post "101 - I/O ROM ERROR", however if I shut down the machine and do a cold boot I have no problem and the OS boots up fine. I read a thread on another site regarding this and it looks like it's a known problem, but there seems to be no resolution... http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/7/lev3/51/pid/484/qid/7506
Any body else have any ideas.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am currently configuring a new DL580 fresh out of the box, with a Smart Array 5300 controller. The POST went OK, the first time through. I went through Smart Start, and setup the drives (all external in a Storage Works cabinet), saved the configuration, and the server re booted, to begin the usual setup of the Compaq System Partition. Well when it re booted itself, I received the same error as above ("101 - I/I ROM ERROR") during the post, and I do not see any message regarding the Array 5300, like it does not see it any more. Details: I have the array (124992-B21) installed in slot 2, I have a Ultra # HBA (129803-B21) installed in Slot 3, and the embedded array controller is enabled. I tried disabling the embedded controller, thinking there may be a conflict, but that did not work. I was able to erase the configuration and start over again. I went into the 5300 Array Controllers setup (F8) and setup the 5300 as the "Boot Controller". Once again, everything seemed to work fine, until the computer re booted itself, then the same error occurred. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I can't say that I have had the problem with the SA 5300, but I am experiencing a problem with my DL580 coming back online after a reboot. I have been trying to set this server up for about two weeks and have had no luck. The server is a DL580 with dual PIII 700 2MB procs, 4GB of RAM, two 36.4GB HDDs, a RIB-LO in slot 6, the dual port NIC in slot 5, and a FC-HBA in slot 4. What has been happening is the video fails to come back after a warm reboot while in Smart Start. I have checked all my wires, checked the Virtual Power Button, updated the ROM, and updated the ROM on the RIB-LO. I'm kinda of lost and was wondering if anybody had any ideas. Thanks in advance.

KEO
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We have several DL580s and are experiencing very similar problems to the above, they either crash for no apparent reason, or will not come back up from a scheduled re boot, in either case all we can do is a cold re start.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

And my problem is I can't even get the OS on the server. I guess I'm going to have to call Compaq here soon.

KEO
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you have a NC3131 or NC3134 NIC installed, then service advisory EH010320_SW0 suggests the NIC maybe faulty.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

My problem turned out to be a bad RIB-LO board. I should have the new one in a week or so. Thanks for the help.

KEO