108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
NilesStein
Advisor

Server

What typed of program is the best to run on a server? ive herd windows is pretty good but i was wondering if there was any other types out there? The programs i am wanting exactly are for running a ISP. Any opinions would be great
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you are planning on being an ISP, then you really shouldn't be asking that sort of question...

Cheers,

Rob
NilesStein
Advisor

Well im not saying i want to be a isp im really wondering what types of programs to use to make a server work as a server
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

A server runs an operating system, of which there are many different types, Windows and Linux are two examples.

As to which is best is an interesting question, for which everybody will probably have a different answer...

It really depends on what you are trying to do.

Cheers,

Rob
NilesStein
Advisor

Ive herd that linux comes with over 90% of the software for it would you prefer lenux over microsoft when running a server?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Personally I prefer Linux to Windows, but as per my previous post, what you use on your server really depends on what applications you need to run.

Cheers,

Rob
NilesStein
Advisor

Exactly What would linux be used for? I've herd that it could be used for running a email service and that it does it pretty well. But if you have two servers it could be costly. hmmm do you know which one is more cost effective?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Linux is an operating system. You can use it for whatever you like, assuming your application will run on Linux.

I don't want to sound harsh, but it really sounds as though you're out of your depth here. This appears to be confirmed by the repsondents to some of your other questions.

They have offered some good advice, please take it !

Cheers,

Rob
NilesStein
Advisor

i wouldnt say that im outmatched i have certainly learned a ton in the past few months on the software part but i wanted to make sure i had a pros opinion on what type of program you would used before accually making a server. Vista sounds like a good program but if linux is better then i will use linux. And id like to thank you clay for that site that was certainly helpful