1752805 Members
5761 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Service Pack 6 Boot Up Hang

Robert Charles
Occasional Contributor

Service Pack 6 Boot Up Hang

We recently installed service pack 6a on a Proliant 5500. The server will no longer boot. It is hanging on the NT blue screen, wheer the service pack number is shown.

I've update the array controller driver and the server is still hanging, does anyone have any idea how to get the server back up?

8 REPLIES 8
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

How did you update the array controller driver with the system hanging ?? If you managed to get into Win NT rerun SupportPaq 6.2 to undo all the overwriting the service pack did

Hope this helps.
Robert Charles
Occasional Contributor

I updated the array driver by booting to DOS and copying the most recent driver.

The server still hangs after this.

Are there any other obvious files that SP6 overwrites once applied?
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

If you copied CPQARRAY.SYS (for Smart Array 2 cards) into Sysroot/system32/drivers/ that normally works. If this does not work then do a parallel install and apply the service pack 6.0A and BEFORE rebooting apply SupportPaq 6.30 and then reboot. Once rebooted into the new install copy the contents of "drivers" into the old install and then boot into the old install you can then remove the new install folder and edit the boot.ini to reflect this.

Good luck
Robert_174
Occasional Advisor

we had problems on a 5500's using smart 2/dh controllers. It turned out that the latest compaq smart2 drivers have a minimum SMART rom version, and ours were below that level. After applying the latest rompaq, they booted straight in.
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the help to the group Robert , if I could give you points on your own question I would :)))
Robert_174
Occasional Advisor

mate, this IS a different robert to the one who answered the question....
Robert_174
Occasional Advisor

mate, this IS a different robert to the one who ASKED the question.... doh doh..
Jeff Brown_13
Occasional Contributor

This reply is for Robert Charles...I was wondering if he ever fixed his problem. I have a similar problem with an NT4 server with SP6. I just happened to let the server go for about 30-40min. and it finally booted up fine. It seems like it is either rebuilding the array, or maybe disk checking??? I am not really sure. Does anyone have any ideas?