ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752290 Members
5090 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Service Pack for Proliant: CentOS versus Red Hat?

SOLVED
Go to solution
epretorious
Regular Advisor

Service Pack for Proliant: CentOS versus Red Hat?

I've not been able to use the current Service Pack for Prolaint (2012.01.00) on CentOS 5.7 to install software components or device drivers (See the post "Re: Service Pack for Proliant: Now what?" for more background.) so I'm wondering...

1. Has anyone else succesfully used the latest SPP on CentOS?
  2. Has anyone else had these problems using the latest SPP on Red Hat 5.7
Eric Pretorious
10 REPLIES 10
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

I've not been able to use the current Service Pack for Prolaint (2012.01.00) on CentOS 5.7 to install software components or device drivers... so I'm wondering...Has anyone else had these problems using the latest SPP on Red Hat 5.7

I'll try installing the current SPP (2012.01.00) on a different version of CentOS tonight and report my results here.

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

I'll try installing the current SPP (2012.01.00) on a different version of CentOS tonight and report my results here.

I've tried installing SPP on CentOS 5.6, 5.7, & 6.0 now and all three attempts have failed (after updating all installed packages).

What can be done to remedy this situation?

FWIW: CentOS is... derived entirely from the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) distribution. CentOS... strives to maintain 100% binary compatibility with its upstream source, Red Hat.

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor
Solution

AFAICT, SPP is a complete bust on CentOS.

However, it is possible to successfully install many (if not all) of the management tools (e.g., SMH, ACU, etc) using the SDR. For more detail, read my post "Using the Software Delivery Repository".

Eric Pretorious
Edmund White
Frequent Advisor

Did you modify the /etc/redhat-release on your CentOS system? That's typically all I need in order to run the HP toosl installation. Keep in mind that there's a slew of prerequisite packages that should be installed beforehand.

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@Edmund White wrote:

Did you modify the /etc/redhat-release on your CentOS system? That's typically all I need in order to run the HP toosl installation. Keep in mind that there's a slew of prerequisite packages that should be installed beforehand.

No - I didn't know that trick. Would you mind posting the correct string (verbatim), Edmund?

TIA,

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

No - I didn't know that trick. Would you mind posting the correct string (verbatim), Edmund?

NM - I found it here:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga)

Thanks, again!

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@Edmund White wrote:

Did you modify the /etc/redhat-release on your CentOS system? That's typically all I need in order to run the HP toosl installation.

Replacing the contents of /etc/redhat-release didn't make much difference: The cciss & hpsa kernel modules still are not able to be built.

Thanks anyhow,

Eric Pretorious
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

As per release notes of HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2012.01.0 Centos is not listed as asupported/tested OS.

The following operating systems are supported for system software and firmware support:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.7 and 5.6

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 and 6.0

take a look at the release notes for more info: 

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/documentation/SPP2012.01.0ReleaseNotes.pdf

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt

Thanks,

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

anthony11
Regular Advisor

Why not just stick with the bundled drivers?