ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748060 Members
5033 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Service Pack for Proliant: Now what?

SOLVED
Go to solution
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Give the HP Linux Software Delivery Repository a try. http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/ Once configured tools like apt, yum, and zypper are used to install/update HP components

Thanks, Jimmy:

I'd prefer an explanation that would help me understand the workings of HP SUM but I'll try anything at this point. I'll let you know how it works out.

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

@Jimmy Vance wrote:

Give the HP Linux Software Delivery Repository a try. http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/ Once configured tools like apt, yum, and zypper are used to install/update HP components

Thanks, Jimmy:

I'd prefer an explanation that would help me understand the workings of HP SUM but I'll try anything at this point. I'll let you know how it works out.

Hey, Jimmy:

What about identifying+installing device drivers? i.e., How will that work without using SUM?

Eric Pretorious
Bryan Gartner
Valued Contributor

So, you get a "depends" kind of answer with regards to drivers.  Many of the drivers (notably NICs) are only available as SRPMs, so the SDR doesn't deliver those by default, although you can certainly download them from the SDR.  For other drivers already in RPM format, you can install those with normal apt/yum/zypper commands (just like for the other agents and software), pulling dependencies as needed from other sources.

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@Jan Soska wrote:

Simetimes it is really anoying. Last time I did it manually, trying basic tools first and then add next as they are depended on each other. It was gues / try system, but finally all worked...

@Bryan Gartner wrote:

So, you get a "depends" kind of answer with regards to drivers.  Many of the drivers (notably NICs) are only available as SRPMs, so the SDR doesn't deliver those by default, although you can certainly download them from the SDR.  For other drivers already in RPM format, you can install those with normal apt/yum/zypper commands (just like for the other agents and software), pulling dependencies as needed from other sources.

I was able to install the software components using the HP SDR...

[root@h2 ~]# rpm -qa | grep ^hp | sort
hp-health-8.7.0.22-11
hpsmh-6.3.0-22
hp-smh-templates-8.7.0.10-10
hp-snmp-agents-8.7.0.23-17
hpvca-6.3.0-8

...but not the device drivers. I received the same errors when using yum+SDR to install kmod-hpsa...

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirrors.usc.edu
 * extras: mirrors.sonic.net
 * updates: mirror.chpc.utah.edu
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kmod-hpsa.x86_64 0:2.0.2-6.el6 set to be installed
--> Processing Dependency: kernel(__tracepoint_kmalloc) = 0x105e2727 for package: kmod-hpsa
--> Processing Dependency: kernel(finish_wait) = 0x9ccb2622 for package: kmod-hpsa
--> Processing Dependency: kernel(find_first_zero_bit) = 0xf11543ff for package: kmod-hpsa
--> Finished Dependency Resolution kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 from HP-SPP has depsolving problems --> Missing Dependency: kernel(scsi_remove_host) = 0xba037a9d is needed by package kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 (HP-SPP) kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 from HP-SPP has depsolving problems --> Missing Dependency: kernel(_spin_lock_irqsave) = 0x712aa29b is needed by package kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 (HP-SPP) kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 from HP-SPP has depsolving problems --> Missing Dependency: kernel(msleep) = 0xf9a482f9 is needed by package kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 (HP-SPP) kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 from HP-SPP has depsolving problems --> Missing Dependency: kernel(pci_disable_msix) = 0xf417ff07 is needed by package kmod-hpsa-2.0.2-6.el6.x86_64 (HP-SPP) ... You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: package-cleanup --problems package-cleanup --dupes rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

I was able to install the software components using the HP SDR... but not the device drivers. I received the same errors when using yum+SDR to install kmod-hpsa...

Ideas? Suggestions?

I still need an answer to this. I've got ten DL365's that need CentOS 5.x and HP SPP installed before they can be moved into Production and, AFAICT, SPP is a complete bust: It won't install on CentOS 5.6, 5.7, or 6.0.

Will I need to open a SRT to complete this?

Eric Pretorious
epretorious
Regular Advisor

@epretorious wrote:

I was able to install the software components using theHP SDR...but not the device drivers. I received the same errors when using yum+SDR to install kmod-hpsa...Ideas? Suggestions?

Looking more closely at the package information...

[root@h1 ~]# yum info kmod-cciss 
Available Packages Name : kmod-cciss Arch : x86_64 Version : 4.6.28 Release : 6.el6 Size : 60 k Repo : HP-SPP Summary : cciss kernel module(s) URL : http://www.hp.com/ License : GPLv2 Description: This package provides the cciss kernel modules built for : the Linux kernel 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 for the x86_64 : family of processors.

I believe that the required kernel version may be the root cause of the failure (though that seems very limiting, IMHO).

Ideas?

Eric Pretorious
anthony11
Regular Advisor

I spent a day fighting with SPP and have given up on it:

o Did a loopback mount on the .ISO and found that it wanted me to open an HTML file with a web browser.  Seriously?  Install a browser and tunnel X11 across an ocean just to install firmware?

o So I dug around and found an hpsum binary to just run, which eventually works, albeit after finding a workaround to get X11 tunneling to work wth RHEL's broken sshd

o SUM has an option to update the always-stale bundled versions of things from HP's FTP (yes, FTP!) site, where updates are hidden in cryptically-named directories and files.  Cool.  I tell it to do so and it does.

o I select a couple of firmware updates, and the tool unilaterally decides that I want a handful of source RPM's for cryptically-named HBA's -- which it unilaterally re-selects after I attempt to de-select.

o So I give up on running it that way and dig up steps to get the thing to PXE boot, and find that it suffers from the same DHCP design flaw as the previous firmware DVD's, so I re-roll the thing with the timeout increased to 120 seconds, then it boots and gives me a blue screen with the usual double cursor.

o In the meantime I find that despite SPP supposedly superseding the firmware DVD, a 9.0 release of the firmware DVD has in fact come out.  Please get your story straight, HP.

I've had it.  I'm now just keeping a directory of firmware packages gathered via the "* Alert for your ProLiant Servers" advisories, and applying them individually from the OS when needed.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

As for drivers - we're just sticking with what RHEL provides, which work just fine so far.  The hpacucli and hp-health packages install fine with yum, especially now that HP has begun to admit that systems are 64-bit now.

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@anthony11 wrote:

As for drivers - we're just sticking with what RHEL provides, which work just fine so far.  The hpacucli and hp-health packages install fine with yum...

Thanks, Anythony! This question's been on my mind and I just haven't gotten around to asking. I appreciate your input.

Eric Pretorious
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Check out the HP Guided Troubleshooting Guide for SPP

http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/

Or go to HPGT link: www.hp.com/support/hpgt

Go to Software> HP System and Server Software Management Software › HP Service Pack for ProLiant

This will help you in getting a complete idea about SPP and will guide through different methods for updating firmware in Proliant and Blade systems.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....