5802 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Setting Up Embedded SATA RAID and Windows Server 2012 Drivers

roboito
Visitor

Setting Up Embedded SATA RAID and Windows Server 2012 Drivers

Hi,

I am trying to set up Windows Server 2012 on a new Proliant ML10 Gen9 server. I want to configure the onboard SATA controller RAID but when I then try to install the OS it tells me I am missing drivers, I have looked online for the drivers but I don't see them. 

I have been able to install the OS without RAID set up but I don't want to do this.

I have been trying to use intelligent provisioning but I don't get the CTRL + I option at POST so I can't do this.

I have followed a number of guides from HP at this stage but nothing is working.  Can someone help out?

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
roboito
Visitor

It seems like Intelligent Provisioning is not on my server so at least that's one less brick wall to be banging my head against.
I think this means I need the SATA drivers but all I can find on the product driver page is an Intel Rapid Storage executable.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Correct, the ML10 Gen9 does not have an iLO, so there is no embedded Intelligent Provisioning.  According to the certification and support matrix, Server 2012 R2 is the minimum version of Windows supported on this system. There is an IRS driver for Server 2012 R2.  This like many entry level systems only has a chipset SATA controller. RAID function is provided by a driver. Being as it is software RAID, you might consider using the RAID storage functionality of the OS itself so your not dependent on an external driver.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
roboito
Visitor

Thanks for the response. I've done a bit of reading this morning and I think I'll go with Windows dynamic disk Raid 1, it's a two disk setup.
Do you mind if I pick your brains on one more thing?
This will be the only physical server in a primary / elementary school, serving AD, Azure sync, print and file storage. It is replacing an oldish desktop with server OS installed. Should I use virtualisation to set up a DC and backup DC or should I keep the desktop running as a backup DC? I'll be backing up to local NAS and cloud.