108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up ILO on a new server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ben_160
Occasional Advisor

Setting up ILO on a new server

Please can someone tell me how to setup the ILO on a new Proliant Server (in simple steps). The HP Website doesnt contain a condensed guide to this and I'm about to pull my hair out.

Thanks
Ben.
9 REPLIES 9
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ben,

when you reboot the server, you should see a prompt for the Intergrated Lights-Out. Press F8 when this prompt appears and you will get into the setup of the iLO.
Here you should see a menu item for network parameters - it defaults to DHCP, and it's default DNS name is on the tag attached or stuck to the server. You can change these parameters, e.g. assign a static IP address (first you have to deactivate DHCP)
Once you have configured an IP-address and saved/rebooted, you can access the iLO by browsing to its IP address. Log in using the default administrator login (the password is on the tag, too). Both username and password are Case Sensitive!
Then you will probably have to enter the key for the advanced pack (purchased seperately) if you want to use a remote console for the server. Do this under "Administration -> Licensing". If you haven't got a key, you can get a demo key here:
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/ilo/iloeval.html

That should be enough to get you up and running. The user guide explains the rest of the functions.
http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00209014/c00209014.pdf

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Stephen
Ben_160
Occasional Advisor

Thanks great answer. Should the IP Address I assign to the ILO be the same as the server its in ?

Thanks
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Ben,

no, the iLO requires a seperate IP address.
It's a seperate network device. You'll also need a seperate cable from the one the server uses, unless you've got one of the new G4 servers with iLO Shared Network Port (but even then the iLO needs a seperate IP address)

Regards,
Stephen
Ben_160
Occasional Advisor

Its a Proliant DL380 G3.
I know its a silly question but where will the network port on the server be for the ilo.
How does it differ from the standard network port ?

Thanks
Ben.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Ben,

have a look at the attached pic (rear view of DL380 G3). Connectors 9 and 10 are for the 2 onboard NICs. Connector 5 is for the iLO (it's also marked "iLO")

Regards,
Stephen
CA1267339

Hi There,

Do you know how to shared the netowrk port for NIC and iLO? Coz I do not want to use so many network cable.
If the iLO network port have share with the NIC1/2. Will it effect the network team in the windows. Coz i plan to team up 2 network card for the connection.
PLease advice.
CA1092749

Being a old message, you probably won't hear this but in case of others....

No.

The iLO board and associated circuits are effectively a self contained mini-computer inside the HP server, separated deliberately so even if a mjor event such as the CPU frying or RAM dying, you can still use the iLO. To my knowledge there's no sharing of any iLO associated components.

IMHO a single additional cable is a LOT less hassle than sending an engineer to a remote site to hit the power button....
W2

Setting up ProLiant ML110 G6. Same as first post, how? When I boot this machine there is no option for booting into ILO. Please advise.
W2

D'oh! No previous experience with this product. I have since discovered that ILO is an option with this model and is not installed.