ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752806 Members
5825 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Setting up RAID5 with three SAS Disks.. Need two partitions.

JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

Setting up RAID5 with three SAS Disks.. Need two partitions.

Hi, 

I have three SAS disks and I wish to set RAID 5 and have two partitions, one for the System and one for Data. Currently I am doing the following:

In Array Configuration Utility:

1. I create one array with the three disks

windowsserver2012installation_3_intelligentprovisioning_createarray.jpg

2. The SAS array is created. 

windowsserver2012installation_4_acu_unusedspace.jpg

3.  When the array is created, I then create the first logical drive. This is my C: System drive in Windows. 

windowsserver2012installation_6_acu_logicaldrivecreated.jpg

4. Then within the same array I create a second logical drive. This will then be my D: drive in Windows. 

windowsserver2012installation_7_acu_logicaldrivesfinished.jpg

I then run HP Intelligent Provisioning and let it install Windows for me... This works but I'm not sure it's the best way. Am I doing something wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

that is fine but you can also just make one big partition LD and then during setup carve up the space. One is much easier to adjust
TVVJ
HPE Pro

The entire process of creating a RAID array, creating logical drive(s) and installing operating system, which is the way a fresh installation is done, can also be completely done from within Intelligent Provisioning environment. Ensure that Intelligent Provisioning in the server is the latest to ensure that the server has the latest firmware and support pack.

As such there are no issues stated in the methodology stated in the post.

For more information on utilizing Intelligent Provisioning for installing the operating system, refer to section "Configuring the server and installing an OS" in it’s user guide. Click here to access Intelligent  Provisioning user guide.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

Hi 

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

windows 2008 allows you to shrink your partition of C:. I just did 300gb to 100gb, then created a D: E: F: for (database,tempdb,log).

The key is to never use [f8] to setup raid, if you do that, you may never get the chance to slice and dice!

I'd strongly recommend a 4th drive and raid-10. I've had two failures that would have killed raid-5 twice in my life.

Plus a cold shutdown (crash/power loss) requires smart array to rescan the entire raid-5 - which degrades performance greatly for a period of time to rescan.

Just a protip: RAID-10 ftw!

Also if you have 4 drives, you could do RAID-10 boot 100gb for speed, then raid-5 for the rest of the volume for extra storage!

great idea huh?
JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

I think most people will agree raid-5 only for most virtualization projects is pretty bad idea.

You can overcome some issues with HP SmartCache but that only helps read latency at this time. It also helps rebuild time.

But the cost of doing that would be far more expensive than choosing more spindles of enterprise drives (no sata or nearline SAS hard drives!).

End up with cpu's running at 10-20% all the time in maximum power saving mode waiting for disk i/o to complete.