6322 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting up a RAID 1 + 5 configuration - ML350 G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Engraphix

Setting up a RAID 1 + 5 configuration - ML350 G4

I'm looking to add 3 more drives to our server configuration (that has a RAID 1 currently in place) and configure those 3 drives to be RAID 5. It has the SA-641 that supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5...since the RAID 1 is configured in Hardware, would I have to configure the RAID 5 in software? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Setting up a RAID 1 + 5 configuration - ML350 G4

hi,

you have 2 options

1, when the disks are in and the server rebooted enter the ORCA (F8) utility and configure your new raid set.

2, reboot the server into windows and use the ACU to add the new disks as another raid set.
You will see 3 drives but not configured in the utility, just highlight them and create a new raid set.
Then use as you want as a new logical unit.

Both will be hardware raid if attached to this SA641 controller, as its the controller that sets up the raid.

Andy
e4services
Honored Contributor

If I understand your question, your new RAID 5 would also be configured in hardward, as described above, using the BIOS configurator, ORCA or the more powerful software configurator the ACU (Array Configuration Utility). The 641 can handle multiple RAIDs and multiple logical drives, configures and controls them in BIOS to present them to the OS as logical drives to be formatted and partition if desired.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Engraphix

good answers.