Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup HP Proliant ML350 G4 Server

albertocastillo
Occasional Visitor

Setup HP Proliant ML350 G4 Server

Hello

I have to configure this server with WIndows Server 2008 64 bit and I am having trouble with the HP SmartStart CD but it gives me certain trouble if I try to update it using the ftp.hp.com (Packages not valid or similar)

I also tried the Firmware CD on the driver page and it let me update the bios offline

If I use it on Windows and try to use ftp.hp.com as repository it will give me a nerror saying "fatal error - application will exit". According to what I read it's caused because of double byte characters.

I would like to find a way of installing the Windows server and updating all firmware and install the most recent drivers and software available for the server.

I checked this http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html but according t what I see there, ML350 G4 is not supported.

Could you help me?

Althought I have experience with Windows Server 2008 and Linux based servers on common desktop machines, this is the very first server I try to setup.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Setup HP Proliant ML350 G4 Server

Hi, 

there is no ML350 G4 under Windows 2008 (and retired servers) on:  http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html

So it's not supported. Strange. The download link below has downloads for ML350 G4 and Windows 2008 x64.

What are you trying to do with ftp.hp.com ???

Downloads for your server you get from this link:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdSelector/?sp4ts.oid=397642

You could try to use the SmartStart CD (8.30 apparently is the latest for ML350 G4) and install it that way.

Or you could try a normal install with a Windows CD/DVD and load the appropriate storage controller driver during install (also found in the link above, which one to use depends on which controller you have in the server). After install you can install the "Proliant Support Pack". This is basically what the smartstart CD does for you, in terms of install. It also helps you create logical drive etc.

albertocastillo
Occasional Visitor

Hello

I tried the Proliant Support Pack 8.30 separately. Did the Custom Installation and checked to include ftp.hp.com as well.

Isn't this correct? If you check at the ML350 G4 driver page there are lots of ROMpaqs and drivers that are more recent than the Proliant Support Pack or the SmartStartCD

Wouldn't checking the ftp.hp.com help to update all drivers?

I also check the options to allow updates of products not in the bundle and also other items.

Shouldn't it be done this way to ensure to install most recent versions of everything needed?

Thank you.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Sorry don't know about this. Maybe somebody else can comment.
albertocastillo
Occasional Visitor

Hello

Thank you

The options I checked after using ftp.hp.com were

"Allow non-bundle versions" and "Allow non-bundle products"

Thanks.