1752802 Members
5612 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setup can't find hardrive

Vishu Gupta
Occasional Advisor

Setup can't find hardrive

I'm in the process of building a Proliant 5500 for NT 4.0. It has about 6 hardrives in it; when I booted with the SmartCD, it couldn???t find an array controller so I guess I do not have an array controller on the machine and I???ll have to rely on NT software for redundancy???correct me if I am wrong.

I???m using the 3 setup diskettes to load NT on the machine, after disk 3 it finds the cdrom and the symbios scsi controller but it errors out and tells me it couldn???t find the hardrives and exits the installation process.

I???m from a UNIX shop-sorry for the question, can somebody tell me what is the proper course of action? Thanks in advance.

Vishu Gupta
6 REPLIES 6
Vishu Gupta
Occasional Advisor

addendum:

I also would like to mention that before I used the erase utility, NT indicated that I have a symbios logic scsi controller but from the boot up screen it indicates I have a "Compaq integrated Dual Channel Wide Ulra 2 scsi controller".

Vishu
e4services
Honored Contributor

Vishu

Please provide more details as to the hardware. 6 hard drive are connected to what inside the machine? Does the BIOS see the drives if they are in fact connected to the onboard SCSI and not an array controller? Did the drives function before or are they new?
NT will respond it this manor when you have not loaded the correct drive for the SCSI controller the drives are attached to. The error was "There are no hard drives on your system for Windows .." I am guessing. If the driver is not given to NT during the driver laoding portion of the set up routine, set up only loads drivers it has. At first portion of the set up you will need to respond to set up's request "Do you wish to load 3rd party drivers?", and press the appropiate key, I think is F6, then later it will ask you for a Floppy.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Vishu Gupta
Occasional Advisor

I didn't check if the bios saw the drives--I will check on Monday. Yes, the drives functioned before I used the erase utility--it was a test NT box. You're probably correct that I may have to press the f6 key during installation and manually install the drivers for the scsi controller. But, the confusing part is that it indicates during boot up its a Compaq dual channel scsi controller but NT said it was a symbios controller. Were the symbios controller standard in this Proliant 5500. So if it is the scsi driver that I need to load during NT installation setup, which one should I load? Where is it, any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Vishu

Vishu Gupta
Occasional Advisor

addendum:

The setup disks did detect the scsi controller, however it did not detect the hardrives. I'm getting:
"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" Sorry for the question, I'm a unix guy taking over an NT shop.
Vishu Gupta
Occasional Advisor

addendum:

Yes, the bios sees the drives and the scsi controller which is a "Compaq 64bit Dual Channel Wide Ultra2 scsi controller". With the Proliant 5500, does one have to manually install the drivers for this contoller during NT setup?
Ian Matthews_2
Valued Contributor

driver can be found here

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/7_1108.html

all files for your 5500 should be here