1753477 Members
4797 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setup of Proliant Server

Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

Setup of Proliant Server

I work for a non-profit organization and HP was kind enough to donate a Proliant ML370 G3 Server to us. I want to set up the new server, but am having many basic problems. I am new at this, and because we currently don't have the funds to hire someone to do this(since we are non-profit), I need walkthrough help. I have installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it. As I am going through, I notice that the hard drive (C:) is listed, but none of the additional four hard drives are listed. I have installed all disks that came with the system, but I would imagine the additional hard drives are not listed becasue the drivers aren't installed yet. Where do I located the drivers four the additional hard drives on this server? Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

There shouldn't be any additional drivers required to see the additional drives. Is there an array controller installed (you should be able to see this in device manager)? When you're looking for the hard drives in Windows, where are you looking? Disk management or in windows explorer? If your looking in My computer or explorer, then all you should have to do is format the additional drives in disk management.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, Terryy When I look into Disk Management, the drives aren't listed. Neither the additional hard drives or the DAT drive.
Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

Cold you walk me through on how to format my additional drives? Thank you.
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

I can help you. I've set up thousands of proliant servers...

first off, did you reviece a "smart start" CD? that will be blueish coloerd. chances are you have 7.00,7.01 or 7.1.

we'll be blowing it away and recreating if there is anything on the server that needs saved. save it now.

boot with the smart start cd and let me know when you are that far.

e4services
Honored Contributor

May be you should give a bit more data. Your statement can imply 2 things. Are there 4 drives or 5? Where are there located? All Hotplug? Was there only one installed when you received it and you simply plugged in 4 other drives that were shipped seperately without configuring them on the RAID controller? Could you have configured them all as a single logical drive, RAID0?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

When HP donated it to us, it already had four additional drives installed(although there are six slots), including a DAT tape drive.
Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

Andy, the Smartstart Array 532 disk says version 5.02 on it.
Thomas_173
Occasional Advisor

Each additional drive is 36.4GB 1000 RPM Wide Ultra320 SCSI. There are four of them.
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tom- the smart array 532 CD might be helpful in somce cases, but what we really want here to make this set up as painless and easy as possible is to find the "smart Start" CD that should have been in the box it was shipped in. it would have been in the bag with the power cables, paper documentation. look int eh big plastic bag that was in the server box.

--Andy