1753943 Members
8827 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Several DL320 G6 refuse to start after shutdown

Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Occasional Advisor

Several DL320 G6 refuse to start after shutdown

Last night we moved our servers to a new location and we've got a very bad surprise. On 6 DL360 G6 we have, 5 refuses to start after a clean power shutdown. The power light is orange and the red failure diode blinks (5s interval). ILO2 works but show no log entries about the issue.

We think the issue comes from the combination of ILO2 (updated to version 1.82 last week) and the BIOS (rarely updated because it's blocked by grsecurity kernel patch). The only server that started has a recent bios (2010.01.13).

The only access I have to theses servers is ILO2, I've alrready tried to downgrade ILO2 version to 1.79, 1.80, 1.81 with no success.

6 REPLIES 6
Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Occasional Advisor

Some precisions: the screen remains blank, no BIOS, neither boot. The only activity on the servers is ILO2.
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

Here is the advisory for this issue:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01994530〈=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3890172&prodTyp
eId=15351

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, it didn't help. I tried to clear CMOS, downgrade to ILO 1.78 and even to remove the BIOS battery.

On 3 servers, the LED36 and LED37 flash red quickly while the power supply makes a sound ("clic") and then nothing (no power on).

On 2 other servers, the power supply works, the fans runs at full speed and there is no POST. On these, LED36 is steady red. Photo : http://www.monsterup.com/upload/1271750858642.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no references for these LEDs in the manual.
Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Occasional Advisor

HP has changed the mainboard without success so it comes from the power supply.

I hope they will find the root cause and create an advisory for this failure.
Craig Dodgen

I have been running into the same prolbem with the DL320 G6 servers. I shutdown the servers through windows then unplug the power and move the servers. The only solution I have is ordering a new power supply. Down time for my company can not be tolerated due to revenue loss. I need a solution from HP.
Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Occasional Advisor

HP knew about this issue but there is no advisory and even the tech support did not known anything about this.

The advisory is simple: any Proliant DL320 G6 with powwer supply "rev. b" is impacted.

Got a new one for you : some Proliant DL320 G5p looses their integrated NICs after 2 years (lost 2 servers).