1753880 Members
7572 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Shares Off-Line

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Shares Off-Line

I have a DL380 with an attached StorageWorks Drive Arrary and an SSL2020 Tape Library. This machine is a file server (and nothing more). I have both NICs configured as a TEAM (for Load Balancing). They are plugged into a Cisco 4006 (Layer 2) Catalyst Core Switch. All equipment is new in June/July.

The unit has 3 Group Shares and 100's in personal shares. The has went off-line making all file shares unavailable 4 times on me in the past week. The server can ping and is pingable from other workstations.

There is no excessive CPU or memory usage. ARCserver 2000 is running and I found this imformation (http://support.ca.com/Download/patches/asitnt/QO22616.html) but without a billion dollar support copntract, I cannot even get them to answer a simple question such as defining "System intermittently hangs." I applied the patch but it did its trick once after the patch was installed so I guess that isn't it.

The NICs on the systray show no activity when the shares become unavailable. The "Heartbeat" is still acitve. Any suggestions or clues?

I killeed NIC Teaming, switched posts on the Cisco 4006. I am under the impression that Teaming does fail-over to one NIC if we had a single NIC/Cable/Port go bad.

Since it all happens at once, it is not a DNS/WINS issue. I can access the files locally from the console and the root admin share is also unavailable so that would take the storageworks/scsi system out of the loop.

HELP!
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Shares Off-Line

Hi
We do have exactly the same problem, and a similar configuration.
What we noticed was that if we disconnect the shares of our printers,all but the oce?s, we do not have the probblem. After reading your message we will deinstall
arc2000 and see what happens. our 200 users are getting tired since the shares
dissapeare a few times each day. only a reboot seams to work...
if you make any progress please let me know!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Shares Off-Line

Hi

We have a similar setup and the same problem with shares going 'offline' though the servers are still pingable - it has occurred on both our compaq servers both with 2 x NC3163 NICS teamed or unteamed - any known issues / solutions out there?