1752635 Members
5860 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simplex Vs Duplex

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Simplex Vs Duplex

We are trying to replace the disks in the server with 8 new disks. Currently there are 7 in a Raid 5. I am going to put in 6 as Raid 5 and 2 as a Mirror. I have bought a new smart array controller that has 2 channells. The manuals I have are in French (currently working there) and I am having trouble understanding whether or not I can change to mode "duplex" or do I have to buy a special card. The book seems to indicate that it depends whether the server was bought in mode simplex or duplex. I have no idea as this dates before my time here. The card in the server appears to be the mode simplex card. Can I buy the card to change it to mode duplex, is it required, and if so can you provide the part number as I haven't found it in the book. Also how can I find out what type of drive cage the server has? Does it matter what cage I have if I want to move to duplex mode.

Thanks in advance

Megan
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

First off - how about an English Language manual (attached)?

There should have been a duplex enabler board with this system originally (spare part number 306569-001 contains both if you need one). This is required if you want to split the backplane in two, but the controller you have may be able to handle all 8 drives on one channel (depends on the card).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Terrific thanks alot!!

We bought a 5302 32mb Smart controller. I was going to split the disks into two channels but as I probably don't really know what I'm talking about please tell me if I am about to try something that won't work. On the weekend I put in the new controller and the disks and connected the two scsi cables to the drive cage backplane. I had some errors when I booted. The plan on the inside of the server cover seems to indicate that the duplex card is required to connect both cables. From what you are saying then, can I use the existing simplex card with the new 5302 but I will only be able to use one scsi cable and thus one channel but all 8 disks?

Thanks again

Megan