ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753722 Members
4592 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Single Xeon works, dual Xeon (exact same model) doesn't let me boot into Windows...

Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Single Xeon works, dual Xeon (exact same model) doesn't let me boot into Windows...

Here's my new problem...

Basic System Specs:
ML370 G3, Dual Xeon 3.2GHz (1MB), 6 GB RAM, six 146.8 GB SCSI HDD, Windows 2K Server.

The Problem:
The system works fine with either of the two processors but doesn't work if BOTH processors are installed. First, I tried removing CPU2 & PPM2 and had success booting up. Second, I switched PPM1 with PPM2 and had success. Third, I replaced CPU1 with CPU2 and had successful bootup once again. Fourth, I installed the original CPU & PPM I removed and populated the second CPU socket with the CPU & PPM, but now I have the same original problem with the server health status light turning red and rebooting the server. Do you know of a solution as to how I can get that second CPU running?

Any help would be appreciated.

Please advise.
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Single Xeon works, dual Xeon (exact same model) doesn't let me boot into Windows...

Hello Ray,
When was the last time did you update the system BIOS?? If not here is the link to update it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20093.html

Please let me know how you make out after updating the BIOS.

Regards,

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Did the external health led is amber again and what is powersupply status as we posted before also, that is at back of server.

regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Ray,

I think if you are installing the heatsinks and removing them with this many times, the thin heat compound would have been worn off...

This may not answer your problem but for the protection of your expensive Xeon CPUs, you are better off to put some appropriate heat compound on.

So, did you have to update your firmwares?

Cheers,

Gus
Learning never ends
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ray,

I saw very similar behaviour on a ML370G3 server I was fixing recently but in fact it was caused by what appears to be an overload condition.

This is how I worked around it.

The system I was working on had the redundant fan kit fitted (6 fans in total) but had to be reduced to the standard 3 fans when the second CPU was installed. If you look at the attached diagram you will see which 3 to leave in and which to remove. The system will work fine with the standard 3 fans, you just won't have redundancy when one of them fails.

Try this and see if it makes any difference.

If this fixes the immediate dual CPU problem then I'm sure HP will release a fix in a new BIOS as this behaviour has been reported.

Have a look at the arttached image. Required fans are marked 1,2 and 3. Redundant fans (which can be removed)are marked 4,5 and 6.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sorry........

Diagram attached now.

I was too quick with the submit button.

Regards,

Brian
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Brian,

Thanks for the tip and diagram. I will try this right away and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Mark_475
Occasional Advisor

This is a unique case i had encounter before. Replace both the PPM it should resolve your problem. One of the PPM actually causing the problem, isolate the problem with two PPM.
Ray St. Louis
Advisor

Hi Mark,

I have the system up and running with both processors and PPMs. The problem was the redundant fans were taking up too much power. Strange but true. I removed the redundant fans, installed the second CPU and now everything works like a charm.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ray,

Don't discount Marks remarks as he may still be right regaring the PPM's. The situation with the aparent overload condition which can be resolved with fan removal is currently under investigation at HP.

Can you please provide me with your e-mail address and I will keep you posted on the progress. Please contact me at brian.murdoch@hp.com.

Regards,

Brian